force 70 wont start after gas tank change

prazanjj

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
3
I have a 1994 Force 70hp engine. I am using two 6 gallon fuel tanks in my boat. When one tank is running low (or empty), I change the hose over to the second tank. Twice now, after I've done this, the motor will run fine for about 2 minutes then quits. I try pumping the bulb, choking, etc. but it won't start until I let it set for 15-20 minutes. I made sure the vent was open on the tank, even unscrewed the cap a little to be sure it was being vented. It smells like the engine is flooded. Eventually it starts but it's very frustrating. Is there any way to prevent this and figure out what is causing it?
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: force 70 wont start after gas tank change

Hello forcewa and welcome to iboats. Your quick disconnet is with the fuel primer bulb so when you change tanks you are using the same primer? Try disconnecting one tank and leave it unconnected till the motor just starts to race. Kill motor, reconnect the new tank and reprime and see if that helps. What could be happening is when you do the disconnect you are creating a vacuum and sucking more gas into the motor hence flooding it. It is not good practice to run a two stroke till it races. You may be in need of a new fuel pump diaphram and new carb needle and seat.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: force 70 wont start after gas tank change

Don't let the first tank run empty.<br />Switch tanks before the first one goes empty.
 

prazanjj

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
3
Re: force 70 wont start after gas tank change

I'm not letting the tank run empty. I try to switch before it runs empty. I'm getting a tuneup on the engine and hopefully this will help. They are going to check the carburetor and fuel pump while they're at it.
 
Top