Force 70 wont shift out of forward

prazanjj

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
3
I recently had my impeller changed out on the water pump on my 1994 Force 70 motor. Don't know if this has any relationship to this problem, but since then I can't get the motor to shift out of forward gear. It wont go into neutral or reverse. I know it would go into reverse and neutral before. Are these problems related? In any case, what should I check? Linkage? Lower unit? Should I take it back to the place that did the impeller replacement and have them take a look?
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: Force 70 wont shift out of forward

Yes, the problem is related to incorrect reinstallation of the foot and hooking up the shifting linkage.<br /><br />You say you "had" the impeller changed. Take it back and ask them to do it right.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Force 70 wont shift out of forward

The shift shaft has a coupler and jam nut to adjust the shifter.<br />It is located on the starboard side, about 6" left of the trim motor.<br />Loosen the nut, turn the coupler, try shifting.<br />Repeat.<br />Repeat.<br />Repeat.<br />Till it works smoothly into all gears.<br /><br />Then mark the position of the shaft, coupler, and jam nut with a Sharpie marker.<br /><br />And YES, the shop that did the work should have done this.<br />AND... they should have test run the motor before they returned it to you.
 
Top