Force 70 HP outboard motor

clovewell

Recruit
I recently bought a 1994 Spectrum fishing boat which came with a Force 70HP outboard. The old man that owned it was the original owner. He mainly fished lakes that were no wake and only idled while fishing. I took the boat out last Saturday and opened it up to see how it handled. I noticed when I got home that there was some oil on the lower unit below the exhaust port. There also appeared to be some evidence of old oil on the lower unit. We put brand new gas in the tank which was mixed 50:1. I was wondering if any one knew if this was a problem or if this is how the Force engines run. The engine itself ran perfectly, very smooth, sounded great. It had my 16' aluminum fishing boat cruising at 39mph. I thought maybe since the previous owner never opened it up maybe some of the seals were dried out or needed replacing. Any advise is appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 70 HP outboard motor

Welcome to iboats.

Had almost the same boat, a 1995, same motor.
She treated me right for 10 years.

Black exhaust residue is normal.

Gear lube is not.

Run a can of Seafoam in the gas, along with some stabil.

Then change the sparkplugs.
Make sure you use the Gapless plugs.

Might want to plan on rebuilding the fuel pump as the original diaphragm was not ethanol resistant.

Run her like you stole her.

I used to turn 5600-5700 rpm with just me in the boat, and a light fuel load.

Had her propped to jump up on plane and run 5700 rpm.

Sold the boat to a couple that weighed about 700#.
Took them and me (200#) for a test drive, and all they could do was talk about the power.
And complain that they couldn't get their old boat to plane at all.

So that was an easy sale.

But I ramble.

Have fun with the new toy.

Pat70

Recruit
Re: Force 70 HP outboard motor

Had the same problem this week, changed the exhaust gasket, cleaned the lower unit and everything was back to normal.

Also check the bolts that holds the cover, mine were loose had to change them.