force 70 H.P.

Would appreciate any help.My 91--70 H.P. force will only run up to 2100 or 2200 R.P.M. I am running on back of a 20 foot pontoon--13P prop.Have checked fuel & changed plugs ????<br /><br /> Veraalan force

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: force 70 H.P.

You'd get better results if you post this in the Force/ Chrysler outboard repair forum. But welcome to iboats :)

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Moving to Chrysler/Forse forums.

Link

Rear Admiral

veraalan force <br />Welcome to IBOATS.<br />Is this a new situation? Did it get to proper RPM before and now doesn't? <br /><br />Link

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Make sure your throttle plates are opening in sync, and all the way. Check the condition of the new plugs after one hour, and look for a plug that looks new...None should. If you find one, run a compression test. You may have a blown head or exaust plate gasket, or the dreaded "holy piston syndrome".<br />I'd run a compression test regrdless, actually. Proper compression is vital to everything else. But the clean plug is an indication of water injestion.<br />Something else to check : Remove the prop and thrust bearing, and see if you fiond what appears to be a nylon washer. If you find one, discard it, inspect condition of lower unit lube by drain/refill, and try it. Fishing line can wrap around the prop enough to cause this, and besides making a perfect nylon washer out of itself (sometimes they look factory-made, but are just fishing line), they can also blow the propshaft seal, which allows water into the l/u, which can cause the symptoms you describe,just before the l/u grenades.<br />You could be not firing on one cylinder. Does it idle fine,without stalling when you put in in forward? If it stalls, or tries to when you place it into forward , it's often the only way to tell you are one cylinder down on a two-cycle motor.They most-times run fine in neutral,only to lack performance in gear.<br /><br />You might also have a waterlogged 'toon chamber on your boat. If it 'sits funny' in the water, i'd yank it out, and sound the pontoons for water.

same condition since last three years .--I noticed one time that R.P.M. went up to just over 3000. My force manual mentioned about lo & hi speed coils.Wasn't too sure how to test for lack of a hi speed condition.