force 50 compression loss

wshooks

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
1
this is my first post so im sure my 2 questions have been anwered several times. so hereit goes:<br />checked the compression 6mo. ago it was 135/130.<br />motor running a little rough,checked again and its 130/100 also there is water on the # 2 plug. any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: force 50 compression loss

Did this motor recently overheat?<br /><br />My first guess would be a blown head gasket, probably caused by an overheat event.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: force 50 compression loss

Hi bill.
Recommended rpm range is 4750 - 5250.

Check compression.
If it is ok, I bet the prop pitch is too high. Very common for pontoons to be overpropped. Not good, but common.

How are you managing to have water and lube in the gearcase, and its not mixing? I guess it could happen if someone put some weird lube in there, instead of marine gearcase lube.

Could be a seal problem, but it could just be the gaskets on the fill and vent screws. I would fill it up with lube and put new gaskets on the screws and try it before I tore it down for the seals.
 
Top