Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

choleman311

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
3
Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

I have a 40hp Force. I was told that it is a 1994 model. How do you identify the engine? Where are the markings located?<br /><br />Also I noticed that the switch box has a couple wires not connected and there are two less wires coming from the stator as indicated by the manual. Was there an upgraded stator with less wires?<br /><br />I noticed this while troubleshooting what started to be a problem where the engine would not idle at all. All of a sudden I have lost fire on both cylinders. I haven't had a chance to check out the electrical system yet.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Welcome.<br />On the side of the transom bracket there should be an id tag.<br />Manufacturer, model #, serial number.<br /><br />Stator should have 7 wires.<br /><br />Check the kill switch. :)
 

choleman311

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
3
Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Thanks for the info. The kill switch circuit checks out. I think someone has used a later model 5 wire stator and had it rigged to the high speed side of the switch box/module and it gave out resulting in no fire at all now. The resistance across both wires of the trigger coil is about 850 ohms.
 

choleman311

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
3
Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

I am ordering the correct stator first. Its obvious that someone put the wrong one on because there is a piece of the unconnected wire in each of the butt splices to the wires that are connected and colors do not match. Somethings definitely not right with this. I just hope that it hasn't fried the switch box.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Re: Force 40 Questions- Stator Wiring

Good Job.

Happy boating.
 
Top