Force 150 - Having a HARD Time Getting Started

dknodel

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
2
I have a Cobra Bass boat with a Force 150 HP. I'm having the hardest time getting this thing started. When It does begin to start I have to quickly engage the throttle to keep it running. Once it is running it runs great. I've had it in the shop twice but I still have the problem. Often the boat battery will run down before it starts. I fish with my young son and I'm afraid I'm going to get standed somewhere. Can anyone give me some advise as to what I can do.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: Force 150 - Having a HARD Time Getting Started

This sounds like my first post on iboats :D Start with rebuilding the fuel pump. Then the carbs need to be cleaned and rebuilt. The fuel pump rebuild is just a diaphram and a gasket and is real simple to do. For Idle the part of the carbs that need attention is the low speed circuit in the carb. If you have the carb off you have a mixture adjust screw that is about 3 inches long with a point. Right about where the point ends on the carb there is usually a welsh plug. Under this plug are three tiny holes that allow gas to enter the carb during idle. What happens is one or more of these holes get plugged or the openings become smaller with varnish. An easy way to test this still requires the removal of the carb. Take the carb off. Unscrew the mixture adjust screw and remove it and the spring. First verify the tip of the screw has a nice point and is not bent or chipped. Now engage the throttle linkage on the carb till the throttle shutters open completely and look at the three tiny holes inside the top of the carb. Take a wire and clean these holes out then blow carb cleaner through the carb so it comes out the hole the mixture screw was in. Use compressed air in the same direction. You do not want to put the compressor where the screw was and blow back into the carb. This will just allow it to get plugged again. Reinsert the mixture adjustment screw all the way in then back off about 1 1/4 turn and try it and see if it idles better.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Force 150 - Having a HARD Time Getting Started

Lets start with the basics first, like your starting procedure.

1- squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.
2- advance the throttle half way, without putting it in gear. This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.
3- activate the choke by pushing in on the key.
4- turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.
5- release the key and choke when it starts.
6- be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.
7- continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

What did the shop do for you on those 2 visits?
 

dknodel

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
2
Re: Force 150 - Having a HARD Time Getting Started

Thank you both for the feed back I will begin the work today! The work done at the shop was - New throttle cable, tune up, new primer bulb, new battery cables. Again thank you for the help! I will let you know what happens. It is a great thing to be able to get help from people like you!
 
Top