Force 125 throttle cables

Skagen

Seaman
I have a force 125 engine that came off of an 87/88 Bayliner I inherited. The hull on the bayliner was rotted so I transfered the engine to another boat that I got from a friend who used its engine for parts. We've transfered the motor, wiring harness and throttle linkages to the new boat. However, in the transfer, the labels came off the throttle cables, so I can't figure out which one goes where. I've tried both cables in either position with the moving parts in every position I can think of. Can anyone help me figure out the throttle situation?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 throttle cables

103_6276.jpg103_6271.jpg101_0142.jpg

Throttle cable is connected to the lower arm on the timing tower. Throttle cable usually has a large stainless spring loaded cylinder on the engine end, However, later Force engines did not have this piece. It connects to the lower ball link on the bypass cover near the rear of the engine. Cable connection at the control box varies with box type. Move the control handle part way. The first cable to move will be the shift cable and it will extend all the way with only a little handle movement. The throttle cable will move proprtional to the handle position.

Shift cable connects to the bent lever under the carb. The rear connects to the upper ball link at the rear of the engine.

If your cable has the long spring loaded cylinder, this connects to the lower ball link and prevents the throttle from moving until the shift is completely in gear.

First photo is an older Chrysler box. Throttle is on the forward facing lever. Middle photo is a 55 hp 2 cylinder engine. The photo is to show how the cable attaches to the engine control arm.

Skagen

Seaman

The third photo looks exactly like my setup. Unfortunately, I have a really weird throttle/shift lever. I'll snaps some pictures when I head over to the boat tomorrow after work. I'm eager to get this resolved, as it's really the last major obstacle I have left to get the boat running. The rest is just cosmetic issues. Thanks for your help, and I'll reply in here tomorrow when I have some pictures and/or know if the cable is correct.

Skagen

Seaman

I think I've found the problem. I'll explain it and post some pictures.

The problem is either that the throttle box is malfunctioning or I'm missing a piece.
Throttle box
IMAG0305.jpg

The linkage cables:
Photos

This is the position of the cables when the throttle is in in neutral
IMAG0313.jpg

This is the position of the cables at the first click of the throttle. The shifter cable moves about 3/4 of an inch
IMAG0314.jpg

This is the position at about 1/2 of full throttle
IMAG0315.jpg

This is the position at full throttle
IMAG0316.jpg

The problem I'm having is that the throttle cable seems to be moving in the wrong direction. It should be extending to rotate the bar counter clockwise to open the carbs, but it's trying to rotate the wrong way.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0315.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 8

Skagen

Seaman

another shot of the throttle box
Photos

it's not showing up...hmmm

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

First off, the top fitting is the throttle fitting. Notice that it is about twice as long as the bottom fitting. If you have not switched the cables in the control box, then you have them reversed at the engine. That particular fittin MAY be spring loaded or it may not be. In any case, you need to advance the throttle a little in order to clip it over the ball post.

Shifter cable should be about 1/2 extended in neutral, fully extended in forward and fully retracted in forward--or is it the other way? I forget. Throttle cable should be fully retracted in neutral and extend fully in both forward and reverse.

I know I have one of those control boxes in the garage so sometime tomorrow I will find it and see how the cables are attached there.

Skagen

Seaman

IMAG0309.jpg

I don't think that the top can be throttle. The bottom connection is the one that attaches to the throttle bar

Skagen

Seaman

Frank, I'd like to thank you for all your help. I figured out what the problem was. When the throttle assembly was removed from the old boat, the control arm had to be removed to pull it out of the body. When the control arm was reattached, it was put on at a different angle than it was taken off. I figured it out when I removed the linkage from the posts, and noticed the throttle arm could rotate forward almost 180 degrees, but only backwards about 90. It's all fixed now, and working like a champ. And this time, I scratched a T in the throttle cable's retaining piece in case I ever have to remove it again :D

Nordin

Commander
I do not understand your question.
"Part you rotate"?
You screw the connectors to the cables.
The one for the throttle is the longer one and it is spring loaded.