Force 120

nlikeflin

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2001
Messages
2
I have a Mercury Force 120 outboard motor that I recently had to replace the entire reverse drive unit on. I purchased the motor in 1998, brand new, and it only has 15 hours on it. I only use my boat during the spring and summer for fishing. I have taken all the necessary precautions to protect the motor from salt water damage. My question is how a motor with so little time on it would need to have the entire reverse drive unit replaced? The warranty expired last year and this is coming out of my pocket. When I contacted Mercury they seemed to give me the run around. It was as if they wanted nothing to do with the Force motors. Has anyone else had a vad experience with a Force motor? Also, if anyone knows where I can purchase the shop manual for a Force 120 motor please let me know. Thanks.<br />J. Lester
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: Force 120

Hi, J.<br /> Force motors aren't the problem. The problem is dealers like that. The parts are available though Mercury under the quicksilver name. <br />The shop manual is pubulished by Intertec Pulbilshing. It's title, "Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual",publication number#<br />B751-3.<br /><br />You ask if that is too soon,and it depends. Was the boat kept in the water? 15hour operation in 3 years time is extremly low.<br />It seams the norm that the engine that isn't run regularly ,is the one to give fits. But<br />ask other opinions,but in my view, if you don't run an outboard often enough, the motor<br />developes an "attitude". I don't mean like an animate object,but close! Just an observation of mine.
 

freddie

Cadet
Joined
May 20, 2001
Messages
8
Re: Force 120

In three years you only have 15 hours on the engine.Thats very,very low. Usually 15 hours are put on a new engine well within the first three months of ownership. Sounds like a simple manufacturers defect to me.If you buy anything with a warranty period, use the product within this time or your warranty will expire. Thus , no coverage.
 

MERCMAN

Seaman
Joined
Oct 13, 2000
Messages
73
Re: Force 120

The only thing I've seen blow one of these gearcase besides impact damage is the shift cable not properly adjusted if when you shifted it and it went into forward quicker than reverse it was set wrong.It's just the opposite. Reverse quicker than forward.
 

nlikeflin

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2001
Messages
2
Re: Force 120

Mercman,<br />could you please expand on your previous post. the problem occurred on a foggy day and i had to move the boat from the path of larger oncoming vessel. the engine was idling and when i shifted into reverse i heard a "thunk" sound. the reverse drive did respond, thank God, but upon inspection later that day i noticed that the reverse drive did not work properly. after reading your post i am kind of scratching my head and wondering if the problem was not with the motor itself, but with the cable adjustment. thanks for your input.<br /><br />also a note to 12Footer. how in depth does the Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual go? is it just a tune up manual, or is it the full blown, parts breakdown, top-to-bottom manual? thanks.<br /><br />J. Lester
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: Force 120

As with all shop manuals, the Clymer has lots to be desired. But it has more detail than the others (I gave my Chilt OMC away,it was so bad).<br /><br />But it still has quite in-depth breakdowns, and a good wrench with cars,should have little difficulty rebuilding the lower unit or powerhead.<br />One pointer before removing any wire harness...Check the color code against the book. I'm finding the same make/year/model with totally different color codes. Draw a "road map" as you go, take some photos of the more delicate areas, and you should have no trouble.
 

channel surfer

Recruit
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
1
Re: Force 120

Unbelievable...I wondered if I was just the most unlucky "Force" owner in the world. I have a 1996 Force 120...just had the reverse repaired last year, replaced all the gears since none would match up...been out on the lake about a dozen times this year and wham, no reverse again !! Just trying to pull up to gas dock. Got the same run around from Mercury & Tracker people....claim there is no problem with the gears. I'd be interested to know if there are any others with the same problems.
 

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 11, 2001
Messages
529
Re: Force 120

I HAVE FORCE 1994 120HP. THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT I HAVE IT EATS STATOR @ SWITCHBOXES .REPLACED THE STATOR @ SWITCHBOX IN 97.@ NOW AGAIN IN 2001.OTHERWISE NO PROBLEM WITH THE LOWER UNIT.LAST YEAR JUST REPLACED THE IMPELLER WITH GASKETS.THE LOWER UNIT DOES TAKE SOME WATER IN; CHANGES THE OIL COLOR; BUT FOR 3.50 A QUART OF LOWER UNIT OIL I CHANE IT EVERY MONTH.
 

BlueShadow

Cadet
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
8
Re: Force 120

Hey Lonewolf i've looked everywhere for my 1991 or 1992 120HP switch box. Where did you get yours at?. is the color of the switch box blue on yours?.
 

L3600

Cadet
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
7
Re: Force 120

I also have a '95 Force 120. Does anyone know what brand of manuals that the dealers use? I couldn't imagine them having to use Clymer or Haynes. Could it be Helm? They make very good automotive manuals. Maybe they do marine also. Any more info would be helpful. Thanks
 
Top