force 120 hi reving issue

Flipncrazy

Recruit
Hey guys this is a 1995 force 120 4 cyl loop carb comp comes in @ top 1&2 @100 bottom 3&4 @90 so imo its in the range of old used but still running . My issue is the idle speed will not lower . it was running good but just didnt come back to its normal idle after we had it on a plane for about 20 min . Now it wont lower idle at all even after i move the idle screw all the way out . No vac leaks that i can see i squirted carb cleaner wile it ran around the carbs and hoses ect . It does not change if i disconect choke relay ( i thought if it was stuck open it would race like its doing )
im all ears here and carbs were just replaced i forgot to menton but they are in tune and rebuilt . i may look at float bowl adjustment but ill wait till i hear form some one . this reminds me of a car engine racing idle issue i have seen i just forget what caused it . ?? i did forget to mention the exaust plate has water coming through a bolt so im wondering whats up with that .

The Force power

Commander
Hey guys this is a 1995 force 120 4 cyl loop carb comp comes in @ top 1&2 @100 bottom 3&4 @90 so imo its in the range of old used but still running . My issue is the idle speed will not lower . it was running good but just didnt come back to its normal idle after we had it on a plane for about 20 min . Now it wont lower idle at all even after i move the idle screw all the way out . No vac leaks that i can see i squirted carb cleaner wile it ran around the carbs and hoses ect . It does not change if i disconect choke relay ( i thought if it was stuck open it would race like its doing )
im all ears here and carbs were just replaced i forgot to menton but they are in tune and rebuilt . i may look at float bowl adjustment but ill wait till i hear form some one . this reminds me of a car engine racing idle issue i have seen i just forget what caused it . ?? i did forget to mention the exaust plate has water coming through a bolt so im wondering whats up with that .
I would check the linkage to the carbs & trigger assembly then re-do the set up

1.Disconnect the ball link to the carb cam at the timing tower. Disconnecting at the cam risks bending the cam. Move the cam away from the carb roller.
2. Loosen the screw(s) on the aluminum tie bar and let all carbs close completely, then tighten again.
3. Set the cam so that the scribed line is pointing directly at the black roller on the carb lever. If the cam has two closely spaced lines, set the black roller directly between them.
4. The black roller is held with an offset screw and nut. Loosen the nut and turn the screw until the black roller JUST touches the cam. Tighten the nut and re-attach the ball link maintaining the scribed line at the roller.
5. Adjust the ball link so that at full throttle the bottom carb butterfly opens substantially horizontally. Adjust the aluminum tie bar so all carb butterflies open equally at full throttle. They need not be perfect but should be rather close to horizontal for best performance.
6. Adjust timing to 28 degrees before top dead center at full throttle. ( STATIC TIMING / CRANKING SPEED )
7. Adjust idle speed to 700-750 RPM in the water in forward gear. Do this with the screw on the bottom of the timing tower. Loosen the locknut and adjust. Screwing in increases idle speed. Do this in small increments and let the engine rev and adjust itself before the next adjustment. A little goes a long way here. When correct, tighten the nut. Note that the scribed line on the roller will now be (usually) below the black roller a bit.
8. NOW we adjust the mixture on the carbs. Set all low speed needles to about 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Do not force as this will damage either the needles or the seats.
8A. With the engine idling in neutral, turn each the needles in equally about 1/8 turn at a time. Give the engine a couple of seconds between each adjustment to stabilize. Adjust until the engine either "sags" or stalls. Note this setting.
8B. Now go the opposite direction. Adjust until the engine runs rough, burbles, or stalls. Note this setting.
8C. Set all needles to the average between the two settings: That is, for example, if it stalled at 3/4 turn out and burbled at 1 1/4 out then set all needles to 1 turn out.
8D. Readjust idle speed to 700-750 RPM.
9. Take the boat out on the water and do a "hole shot"--Full throttle acceleration from a stop. If the engine "sags" then recovers and picks-up it is too lean. Open the needles about 1/16 turn at a time until the engine accelerates with no hesitation.
If the engine sputters or coughs or burbles, then clears itself and accelerates, it is too rich. Close the needles about 1/16 turn at a time until the engine accelerates smoothly.

10. I can NOT stress this enough! NEVER set the low speed needles less that 1 turns out no matter how poor the idle or acceleration. To do so will run the engine too lean and detonation and melted pistons at or near full throttle operation will result.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The low compression is probably the gauge or the way it was taken.
The 95/120 was designed to have lower comp on #1 and 4 and higher on 2/3
There is NO idle adjustment on either carb.
Those are air/fuel mix screws to set the mix at idle.
The idle is adjusted at the bottom of the towershaft. Slotted screw and a 1/4-20 nut. Loosen the nut and turn the screw out to lower the rpm's.
Do the link and sync Force Power posted.
The primer, has a rubber diaphragm inside. It can go bad and feed extra fuel to the carbs, pinch off the feed line and see if that makes a difference?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Exhaust plate leak, at the top, bottom or middle?
Bottom: worst place for leaks as the 1/4-20 screws are usually rusted and break just looking at them.
Middle: screws not as bad but still fairly easy to twist off.
Top: a lot like the bottom, usually seized.
If it was me? Unless the water gets into the pistons I'd leave it alone unless you planning on a rebuild.
And then be EXTRRRRRA careful when removing the screws.
When the plate and cover are removed from the block, the surfaces they need to be milled or they're almost impossible to seal.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Post some pics of close ups of your tower shaft and linkage as well as the leaky bolt

topgun3690

Ensign
On my old powerhead the exhaust plate sprung a serious leak near the bottom......it had rotted from the inside and broke when I took it off. Luckily none of the bolts broke off. Not so lucky with the bypass cover.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I believe I’m still record holder for most head bolts snapped; Jerry may remember. 14 count

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Well, to answer your question; yes but…I ended up having to swap the entire powerhead out because I melted a piston due to a bone head lean/rich condition Mal adjustment. All said and done; she’s purring like a kitten now. Slight high speed studder but I just back off the throttle and she clears up.Those 14 taught me a world of patience though I must say lol-cheers!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
High speed miss: run the boat and get it hot.
Then run as fast as you can for 5min.(I'd die from a heart attack after 3 min)run the motor 5min. Then just turn the key off, don't throttle back just turn the key off. Then pull and inspect the plugs for proper burn.