For those who know 70’s Evinrude / Johnson I have a slightly challenging question

JBQIII

Cadet
I just did the water pump for the first time on a recently received 1976 70HP Evinrude, and the water pump kit came with plastic keys that were unlike the motor’s flywheel key. It was more ramp shaped, which I believe is what most replacement kit keys are. The new impeller’s inside key indent was also more slanted and wide, not squarely cut at all. But when I took the lower unit off, the driveshaft had a metal key and slot in it exactly like the flywheel’s “half circle/moon” key, and the old impeller had a 90* angle-cut slot in it like the flywheel does.

From what I know, I thought the ramp shaped key was correct, but there’s no way it’d fit in the driveshaft, so I had to reuse the old metal key on the new slant/ramp cut impeller and it seemed to turn it ok, so I put it back together snd called it a day.

Is there any chance that’s an original lower unit driveshaft and water pump? It sure seems different from what I’ve read, but again I didn’t know what to do about it so I let it be.

Any info on if there’s any 70’s Evinrude that use the moon shaped key and keyhole driveshaft would be great. Or info on why mine was mismatched as such.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes you got the newer style kit for your motor. This is the kit you should have got.

0438579​

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You ordered the wrong kit !!----Ordered on line or from the local trusted boat shop that knows ?

JBQIII

Cadet
Yes you got the newer style kit for your motor. This is the kit you should have got.

0438579​

That’s the kit I ordered. Looks like they sent the wrong one then. Thanks for the help!

Needless to say the news style impeller with the old key installed probably won’t last will it? Wish I didn’t have to redo everything..

JBQIII

Cadet
You ordered the wrong kit !!----Ordered on line or from the local trusted boat shop that knows ?
I ordered the correct kit. I received the wrong it.

Is trusted online shop not an option? 😂😂

Any experience in knowing of the wedge impeller would work ok installed with the original woodruff key? That’s what I did and it seemed to work ok but definitely seemed a bit sketchy. You just never know what’s intended or unintended with kits and motors this old..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The plastic wedge key will not last in a driveshaft meant to have a steel woodruff key.-----Motor overheat is an expensive thing.----You have tested the overheat horn ?----Online order desks just do not know.----Everything is just numbers to them.

JBQIII

Cadet
The plastic wedge key will not last in a driveshaft meant to have a steel woodruff key.-----Motor overheat is an expensive thing.----You have tested the overheat horn ?----Online order desks just do not know.----Everything is just numbers to them.
I used the original steel key as stated in OP. The impeller is wedge shaped though so there is a bit of a mismatch there.

No, I’m unfortunately unaware of how to test the horn in these old ‘76’s. I’m not 100% sure mine has one honestly. I haven’t seen a horn type thing anywhere.

Mistakes happen. I’ve been handed the wrong part at stores before as well. Unfortunately the human element is hard to remove from people. 😄😄

JBQIII

Cadet
When I looked up that part # it showed the 1/2 moon key. What # was the kit you got?
Correct. Not sure the # I received but I received the wedge key and wedge impeller. Looks like a simple return and redo unfortunately. Thx for looking it up for me though. I really appreciate the time!

tphoyt

Ensign
I’m think a bit of your time now to install the correct kit is far better than the problems you could have down the road. Especially if your on the water far from home.

JBQIII

Cadet
I’m think a bit of your time now to install the correct kit is far better than the problems you could have down the road. Especially if your on the water far from home.
Good advice. I’ll be much faster this second time around. I think that’s what I’ll do.