For those of you contemplating a project boat...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If you've been passing an interesting looking boat in a field, back yard or garage on your way to work every day, but have thought a project like that might be beyond you or "not worth it", I offer you this...

My wife and I bought an 18-foot Starcraft American two years ago for $200. It came with full canvas - top, aft and sides, so I figured at the very least we would have some canvas for another boat down the line. The boat had a rotted transom, soft floors and saturated foam. The interior was badly faded in spots and the carpet was shot. But we liked the lines, liked the color, and we already had a 15-foot version of the same deep-V hull, so we knew we liked how it rode.

We slowly began digging into it, removing the interior, ripping up the floor, grinding old glass tabbing, etc. We got frustrated at times, thinking we were in over our heads. Finally, a year ago we turned the corner and began putting it back together. The new transom went in - absolutely rock solid and better than the original ever was. New stringers went in as Summer turned to Fall. A new keel. New floor was glassed in. Spring arrived and all the wiring gets replaced while the deck is still in the yard and easy to get to. Then the deck went back on the hull. It's starting to look like a boat again. Rubrails, windshield, new carpeting, and new vinyl trim were installed. Several days are devoted to wet sanding and rubbing out the gelcoat. Years of oxidation and dock scratches are gone.

A blown 1984 Johnson 90hp outboard motor was purchased at an auction for $50.00. An identical blown motor was bought off eBay for $300. Between the two I was able to build a complete one, with new pistons, seals, etc. It was set on the rack to await the completion of the boat. Leftover parts are returned to eBay and I end up breaking even on the motor project.

Memorial Day weekend comes and goes and we get the motor rigged. The original seats are cleaned up and tightened up for now as we decide to spring for the premium replacement seats down the road rather than get the cheapie seats now. A swing platform and ladder are acquired off a junk edboat and installed. A couple days are spent going back and forth with the DMV to get the boat registered - their computer thinks it is a snowmobile!! It gets sorted out and we're now legal! A couple tanks of gas are mixed up, double oil for break-in, and we're ready to go!

The shakedown cruise reveals a cooling issue which we sort out over the course of the following week, and now the motor absolutely sings. The boat handles everything we have thrown at it - cruiser wakes, windy chop, and the all of the in-laws at one time!

Well, it all came down to this past Sunday. We take the son and his friend to a bay for some swimming and relaxation. It's quiet on the River and I am just soaking it all in. I am out on the water in a boat that I completely rebuilt, running a motor that I completely rebuilt. I just pondered that for a bit and the sense of satisfaction was overwhelming. All the skinned knuckles, pinched fingers, splinters, itchy skin, and achy back, legs & neck - it was all worth it!

Do I have more into the boat than it is worth, monetarily? Maybe. But I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. Plus, the boat is, for all intents and purposes, new. Probably BETTER than new. And there is no way I could have bought a new 18-foot runabout for what I have into this boat, even if you included my labor time.

I guess what I'm getting to is that if you see an old boat that really catches your eye - or your heart, go for it. Don't be afraid to get in there and start digging, cutting and grinding. You won't be disappointed...

- Scott

Attachments

• SC18_June10_SideShot0535.jpg
    SC18_June10_SideShot0535.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SC18_Adam_0541.jpg
    SC18_Adam_0541.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: For those of you contemplating a project boat...

Good work and a great story. Enjoy the fruit of your labors!

Safe boating,
Joe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just ask me!! i'm addicted.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Can't tell which I like better, your boat or the house it is tied up to.:D

Robj

Lieutenant

Looks great, now it is time to enjoy your hard work. I am in the process of finishing one up. New interior, stringers, floor and transom. Long process and at times it is difficult to keep motivated. Took some pix and will post them once it is finished.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys. I have a full chronological photo collection of the project over at my Yahoo group:
groups.yahoo.com/group/StarcraftBoatRestorationGroup/
- Scott

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

That story gave me goosebumps:D

radio_guy_ca

Recruit

very inspiring story, still dont know whether to dump the bayliner or dig into it...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Radio Guy,
I'll tell you - it helps if you really like the boat. We were already familiar with the Starcraft American series and liked the looks, layout and ride. If you're unsure whether you like the boat now, it won't get better when you're shin deep in waterlogged foam, fiberglass scrap and rotted wood bits. Don't let anyone else tell you it's not worthwhile - only you can make that decision. And above all else, keep in mind that this is supposed to be fun!
I found that breaking it all down into many small, manageable projects made it seem much less overwhelming. Working an hour or two a few evenings a week, plus a few hours most weekends and it goes by surprisingly fast. It also helped that I have a very supportive and understanding wife who isn't afraid to help hold a sheet of plywood or vacuum up fiberglass dust.
- Scott