For NASCAR Fans

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
So, who's looking forward to NASCAR starting back up?

I know its gotten lame over the last few years, with the Vegas, and Kansas, and Chicagoland tracks but I still get excited when Daytona rolls around.

Last year I actually surprised myself by watching Kyle Busch race. Every week, I started wondering what the **** he was going to do this week.

I don't like him personally, but I sure enjoy watching him race. Unfortunately he's as close to "old-school" as we have I think because he shoots his mouth off, gets in trouble, shoots his mouth off some more, wrecks people while driving his hardest, or manages not to wreck people sometimes. But he always "seems" to do things his way.

I'm looking forward to see what Jr. has in store with some real equipment under him. If he still sucks, then we'll know for certain that he's just another so & so.

So what are your thoughts??

tommays

Admiral
Re: For NASCAR Fans

I watch but it has become painfull on anything over 300 miles the guys are clearly saving it for the last 50 miles :(

IMHP they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg :eek: there are so many absurd things like giving back laps ,lineing up lap down cars on restarts ect

There is just to much NASCAR on TV almost 24/7 in season

Tommays

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i watch when it raining, and can't boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'll find a creek with some shade trees, and fish.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

dern! I gotta remember that!

Been away from the creek for too long...getting 'city-fied' :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am still in love with NASCAR and can't wait. I do start to nod during some races, but I like the whole deal. Lately I am pizzed about the Car of Tomorrow (today) as it failed to accomplish the one thing I thought it was supposed to do: get rid of restrictor plates . . . :mad: No matter how much fun plate racing can be at times, it is ridiculously stupid!!!

I am bummin' this year as I got no Ward Burton again . . . :( I'll watch his brother, and I think I may follow Travis Kvapil in the #28 (I liked him in the trucks) and there's always the hope that Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch crash out or blow up or get suspended or flip off a cameraman or punch a chick or some other stupidity . . .

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I watch but it has become painfull on anything over 300 miles the guys are clearly saving it for the last 50 miles :(

Tommays

I agree. I usually watch the starting ceremonies, the start of the race til 50 laps or so, then usually I'll take a nap, and watch the last 50-100 laps. This was the big conversation last year with 'boogety, boogety, boogety' and friends.... why so long?

I'm interested in watching JR... I am hoping he jumps ahead of the crowd, then I can blame Teresa (along with the rest of NASCAR America) for his short falls. Although, it's hard to watch him go to Team Hendrick, as I have a hatred for Jeff and Jimmy.

As for the rest of the circuit -- You can bet whoever get's taken out of the race will all say the same thing..... "It's too bad.... This Victoria Secret Fusion was the fastest car out on the track today, just got caught up in a mess.", or "I don't know why he wrecked us, I guess he was afraid of the Wal-Mart Vision Center Dodge, cause we were the fast car on the track today."

I also watch Paul Menard pretty heavily -- he's not great, but a buddy of mine is his 'minor league' race-mate. He races in the WCS (usually short-track, all black-top), and I help out in the pits once in awhile. It's interesting the people you meet at these events. On one side, you meet people that are in the Nascar circuit, Menards (although, sounds like that's a done deal this year) and Culvers Race teams. Then, on the other side, you meet people that don't have 2 teeth in their mouth, but would do anything to help out the next guy.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

"you meet people that don't have 2 teeth in their mouth, but would do anything to help out the next guy."

That'd be me your talking about. I raced on dirt bullrings for a couple of years and worked on a freinds pit crew for many more. My first year our class was kinda small and we all got along great. Many nights I would be helping some I race AGAINST get their car on the track. If I ever needed it the favor it was returned, and I used that favor many nights. Parts were borrowed and loaned so much that no one really knew who had what anymore. $5000 car and about $150 in fuel/food/drinks/admissions to win $250 IF I got first place. I loved every bit of it and miss it something crazy.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can't wait. I grew up on local 1/4 mile dirt tracks. My dad raced, my uncles and cousin raced as well. My cousin raced a couple of years in the truck series and a couple of years in ARCA. My uncle has owned several Winston Cup cars as well. Morgan Shepard drove for him years back when he used to race to do more than survive. So racing has always been in my blood, and I have never been able to get it out....but then again, I don't try very hard. I still go to Eldora speedway several times a year, and there is no dirt track like it. It's unbelievable. Some people add salt to their beer, I add track dirt to mine.

Winston Cup(yes, I still call it that) has not been the same since senior died. I was a big fan and I now support Junior. I don't know why, but I just don't see the sport the same way as I used to since his passing. It still saddens me to think about it or when I watch old races. I watch them all, but it's not the same.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Id love to get back out on the dirt track, but after the head-neck-back injuries (by the way #42, red flag means stop idiot) it may be over for me.

I will be watching Daytona, hope my boy Kenny Schrader can get in with that BAM Dodge. I do wish they would put an age limit of 21 to get into Cup though, too many "young guns" are getting in before they are ready. cough....cough......David Ragan....cough.....Kyle Busch......cough

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish they would make them drive so many years in trucks, and so many years in Busch, I mean insurance of some kind, before letting them in Winston, no Nextel, no Sprint, no AT&T, no wait you can't mention AT&T.

And don't any get me started on the Dekar.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

The new tracks aren't what made NASCAR boring... it's the driving that's become too conservative. Used to be, putting someone into the wall was encouraged... now none of them will do it on purpose, and if they do it on accident they are all apologetic. I might as well be watching my grandmother drive around the track.

aspeck

Staff member

Looking forward to it, but bummed because JGR went over to the dark side and are running Toyotas. Being GM born and breed, just can't root for a rice-burner! So now I gotta look for someone other than Smoke to root for who drives a Chevy (and I just can't root for Jimmy or Jeffy) ...

QC

Supreme Mariner

just can't root for a rice-burner!
Social controversy . . . (sorry feeling kinda honery today, just ask Mrs. QC . . . "coming honey")

So now I gotta look for someone other than Smoke
Thank all that is good for that. What the heck are you doin' routing for the anti-christ anyway? :confused: :eek: :p

dave4151

Seaman

I stopped going to races a few years ago and haven't watched one for a couple years.

I miss the good old days.​

Attachments

• pettyNcale.jpg
    pettyNcale.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0

aspeck

Staff member

Thank all that is good for that. What the heck are you doin' routing for the anti-christ anyway? :confused: :eek: :p

Just a good ole boy looking for a temper tantrum to erupt at any time :eek:. You gotta admit, he is fun to watch - "EVERYBODY GET OUT OF MY WAY!" Kinda like Granny Leadfoot on the highway ... or Mr. Magoo :p! But alas, now that he is driving a Toy *** I get to root for him to wreck instead of making it thru! :D And when the Toy***s don't perform like he thinks they should, it will be fun to hear him rant and rave about how bad his sponsored ride is!

Yep, Gonna be a fun year!

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Looking forward to it, but bummed because JGR went over to the dark side and are running Toyotas. Being GM born and breed, just can't root for a rice-burner! So now I gotta look for someone other than Smoke to root for who drives a Chevy (and I just can't root for Jimmy or Jeffy) ...

Clint Bowyer is one to watch this year.