folding grapple anchor question

trevornewell

Cadet
i have a Folding grapple anchor TYPE THAT IS HERE but i dont know how to tie it on so i can pull it up when i have 2. is there a way to tie it from the top first to the bottom. or from the bottom to the top. i cant figure it out. please help.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: folding grapple anchor question

Just tie it on one end like they show in the picture. If you tie it on the other end, and you can pull it out easy, your boat can also pull it out easy when you start to drift.

trevornewell

Cadet

that makes sense, but i want the one rope to do 2 jobs. i was thinking of something like this picture

the rope is tied to the bottom of the anchor and a zipp-tie goes from the rope to the top of the anchor. when you give a good pull on the rope it will break the zipp-tie and unhook the anchor. that make sense to you?

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I understand what you're saying, but and this is just a guess, I would think any zip tie you could break with a quick pull could also be broken by a decent wave yanking your boat tight against it. Just curious, why can you just pull your anchor free like everyone else?

Nice picture by the way. Did you draw that yourself? Put in on the fridge once the problem is solved. ;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can use some 1/8" nylon lanyard in place of the cable tie. Something heavy enough to hold the boat, but something you can break with the motor's pulling power, if needbe.

What kind of bottom do you anchor in? Rock? I would not think those anchors have any real holding power in anything but rock and a serious wreck.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

What size boat are we talking about? I'm having a hard time imagining anything capbable of holding a boat, but can still be broken for easier retrieval. I mean, if you try to power out and for some reason the string or tie doesn't break, you could swap the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus