Folding dock cleats

Swmomaha

Recruit
Thinking about replacing the “toe grabbers” cleats on our dock (traditional cleats) with a folding cleats. Any thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would go with pop-up cleats vs folding.

the small folding ones are generally for hanging fenders where the pop-up cleats are load rated.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We've been using these on our dock at the lake cabin. They work pretty well and they are much less likely to catch a toe. I don't think they're as strong as regular dock cleats, so if I had a very large boat and lived in an area prone to bad storms or heavy seas, I'm not sure I'd trust them them for long term docking. Otherwise, we've never had a problem with them holding in Northern Ontario lake conditions.

Swmomaha

Recruit
We've been using these on our dock at the lake cabin. They work pretty well and they are much less likely to catch a toe. I don't think they're as strong as regular dock cleats, so if I had a very large boat and lived in an area prone to bad storms or heavy seas, I'm not sure I'd trust them them for long term docking. Otherwise, we've never had a problem with them holding in Northern Ontario lake conditions.

Our boat is in a lift and we’re in a no wake cove. The cleats are just for visitors.