Fogging Oil Filled Carb

netzoe

Recruit
Last fall when I winterized the boat I put too much fogging oil in the carb leaving about a 1/2 inch. I was told that trying to run the engine could cause damage to the motor. What do you think?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fogging Oil Filled Carb

Ahoy, netzoe. If fogging oil could damage your engine they wouldn't let you put it in there. Pull the plugs and spin her over with the starter for about 15 sec. Button her up and fire her up. She will smoke a lot for a few, then clean up.<br />Bon Voyage.<br />JB
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It sounds like you put it up the right way to me.<br />Decarb cleaner DOES have strong solvent in it, but as long as the float valve seat isn't<br />submerged (which is next to impossable to do), I wouldn't be worried.<br />And if i store an engine for a year or so,it gets stalled-out on the stuff first.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Sandbar? Sandbar? I don't see no stinking sanDBARRRrrrrr!!!

netzoe

Recruit

Thanks guys I was told I should be mostly worried about hydro-lock, but it would make sense to take the plugs out to be sure I don't have that problem. I used fogging oil, but actually tried to stall it with several ounces of SAE 30 non-detergent motor oil. So this is probably what was left in the carb. Do you think this changes any of your comments?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Not much, Netzoe. The fogging oil is less caustic than decarb cleaners, and as long as <br />you do as J.B. sugested,(remove plugs and let it spit the excess oil out), you'll be fine.It may foul the plugs once before it clears completely,so run it for a few minutes on the muffs,and then change the plugs out before hitting the water.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Sandbar? Sandbar? I don't see no stinking sanDBARRRrrrrr!!!