Foam under floor

PT@work

Cadet
upon taking the floor up I noticed the foam was wet near the back, does this need to be taken out out let it air out & dry.It looks like the expanding foam

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Foam under floor

PT@work,<br /><br />If the foam is wet it is most likely saturated with water, this will add significant weight. <br /><br />You should consider removing and replacing it with closed cell expandable foam. I had a similar problem with my boat and the amount of weight that foam can hold is amazing.<br /><br />Safe boating to all.<br /><br />Ed.

PT

Seaman

Thxs for the reply Ed, you know i got to wondering about this wet foam,I have been having a problem with tires(Plural) bowing on my trailer, was just wondering if this could be the instagator, I remember watching the tires as it moved one day & they expanded & contracted alot, what i mean by that is when the tire would hit a bump they flexed alot. anyone ever had a problem with tires blowing a unusual amount.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Definately replace the foam. As for the trailer, make sure the tires are the proper size and type for the application. Make sure they are aired up properly (not too little or too much). Also, make sure your wheel bearings are properly lubricated and properly tightened. If there is too much resistance, it can heat the hub, which if hot enough can heat the rim, which can expand the air in the tire, and if the tire is under/over inflated, it'll pop. Good luck.....

PT

Seaman

Hadnt thought about the heat causing pressure to build up ...thxs...Jason while i got ya on here what is the purpose of the foam, support of the floor?I have a 19 ft bayliner , there are only 2 stringers in it & foam on each side of those. The expanding foam scares me , why because Im afraid it will buckle the floor. How do i foam it & not put too much in there, Just use common sense?

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The foam is supposed to keep your boat and you from sinking if you get swamped.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would use some white styrofoam, and forget the blow in. You can get it for free, and it works fine. My 1969 Glastron has zero foam, never did. I did put some empty antifreeze jugs in the center section to keep it afloat if it ever got swamped. Spray if foam is only good if it never gets water in it. It will saturate and never dry out.