Foam for reupholstry!

njboatman

Cadet
I am looking for a website or somewhere i can purchase new foam to use when i reupholster the side panels of my 88 bayliner capri!

im sure you all know that bayliner ended up using a few different colors, as for the side panels...there are individual pieces of foam cut on diaganals for the design of the panels. I am looking to get 1 inch thick foam and maybe 1/2 inch thick. (not sure if they make this foam in certain width and lengths like 4'x8')

I want to make 1 whole length for my side panels for example...say they are 10 feet long and 8 inches wide, i would like to make the foam one piece and vinyl over the entire piece without any breaks in the vinyl.

if i have to, maybe 2 pieces but i do not want to reuse the foam that i have from the panels because it is probably 10 different pieces!

thanks

matt

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Foam for reupholstry!

Do a Google search for Sunshine Foam in Cincinnati. Quality foam and reasonable prices. Steve

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im confused here....

first......

getting the foam is no problem......but its spendy...a quick search in your local phone book should bring up several upholstery shops that can help you with pleasure.

but secondly.....
you are planning to cover the entire section with one piece of vynal.
that will look cheap and like a "bubba" job.

upholstery is not hard to do. actually the seemingly complex patterns of the side walls of the capri are very easy.

this is what the factory job looks like.

053.jpg
n this is what the factory job looks like.

this is hat you can do with some strips of vinyal and staples

054.jpg

004.jpg

im just worried that if you cover the side walls with one section, the rest of the boat will make it look out of place, there for cheapining the boat.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm with oops on this one... If your gonna spend the money to redo them then might as well take the extra time to snazz em up! I had never upholstered a thing when I started on my interior for my boat. I basically read the manual for my sewing machine and then kept the mother on speed dial ;) Always practice on scraps before starting to ensure u understand how to best manipulate your machine for your needs. Heavy duty needles and UV resistance thread can be purchased at Wally World. A single stitch will do it when connecting vinyl for coaming pads just remember to run over each end a couple of times to reenforce it. Again this was my first attempt at ever sewing and I'm proud of how my pads came out.

Stern coaming pad and finished splashwell.jpg
Drivers stern coaming pads resize.jpg
Drivers side finished coaming pad resize.jpg
Passenger Bow coaming pad.jpg
Bow coaming pads.jpg

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh and instead of buying expensive marine foam for the coaming pads i used sill seal from HD/Lowes. Its cheap! Put two layers on each and used a 3m spray adhesive to stick it to the wood back and to each other. The spay is how i attached the carpet to the inside hull as well. Its great stuff and never truly hardens so its pretty forgivable

DSCN0538.jpg
photo(6).jpg
photo(3).jpg
348.jpg

njboatman

Cadet

thanks for the site glass, ill check it out!.

OOPS! i ended talking to a friends dad who owns a shop and he said he can get me what i want and need. he also told me that i can use his shop so i dont have to pay him to do the work, only pay for materials. my only concern is i dont know how to sew :facepalm:.

i was thinking maybe i can have him do the more difficult stuff and i can try to fix the side panels myself. i am probably just gonna use all the same foam and just piece it all in together the way it was from the factory but i am not going to use factory colors. there are just too many! so i need to decide where i can put what colors, planning on using just blue and white! like i said, i think the side panels will take me a day or two if i just roll with it and not get side tracked. ill post some pics of the old panels so hopefully i can get some ideas on it!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the sewing and stapling the side panels is pretty easy, and for doing a single boat, even you most basic sewing machine will do the job (now doing 100 boats, that's another story)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

the sewing and stapling the side panels is pretty easy, and for doing a single boat, even you most basic sewing machine will do the job (now doing 100 boats, that's another story)

What he said, sewing straight lines/seams are real easy...I reupholstered my whole boat for a first time sewing project, turned out great. The side panels w/o box seams were easy and fast.
Also, I found a local Army Surplus store that carries upholstery foam, large (king, queen, etc...) sizes, way cheaper than an upholstery shop or supply, might want to make a few calls locally?!

BoatPanels.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class