Foam core and milk jugs?

paulmw

Cadet
In the final stages of restoring my 18' sailing dinghy. I noticed when I was moving it on the trailer, there was a sloshing sound in the stern. Odd, how could you get water sloshing in a foam-filled fibreglass "box"?. Anyhow, I drilled a hole to let the water out - nothing. Then another, then another....some damp foam core. Then finally, in yet another hole, I was rewarded by a stream of water! (By this time my stern looked like swiss cheese).<br /><br />After detailed examination it seems that some sort of plastic container is embedded in the foam core. This must have somehow filled with water (probably though a large hole in the top deck which I have now fixed)!<br /><br />My plan now is to inject these voids with new foam, then fill the holes. At the bottom of the stern, leave a couple of holes open for a few weeks to let the old foam core dry out.<br /><br />Any comments/thoughts/feedback? Can it really be than somebody enbedded a couple of plastic milk jugs into the foam? :-o<br /><br />Thanks!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Foam core and milk jugs?

Bottles & foam is pretty common. If you have to buy a lot of foam to fill a large space, you'll see why its done so often. Only, you're not supposed to punch holes in it.<br /><br />Once that foam waterlogs, it usually doesn't dry back out. <br /><br />Read some of the back postings here. The ups & downs of Foam & bottles is discussed pretty well.