foam and what its for

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok heres the deal I am having a discusion with someone about foam. The question is if you add more foam to the inside of the boat and fiberglass it in will it make the boat sit higher in the water????? Or will it just add weight to the boat????? plz anyone who can answer this post back plz do so.

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice
Re: foam and what its for

Not being someone who knows a whole lot about foam, i would think that if you add it to the boat, as long as you incase it and it becomes part of the structure of the boat, for example case it in DRY plywood and then fiberglass it to the boat, then it should act as a floatation support. Where are you adding and what for?

If you are adding it to the back so that it can support the weight of you the gas tank and the motor then i dont see why it wouldnt work. It may take room away from you inside but it should act as a stabelizer for the weight pushing the boat down into the water.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

no, assuming there is no water inside your boat, foam does nothing except sit there.

I does not help you float, because the foam is not directly touching the water.

I WILL help you float should you get swamped, and get water inside your boat.

But i think foam just soaks up water, and is not really worth the trouble. It will eventually hold water, and add a lot of weight to your boat, if it gets saturated.

Expensive as Hel* too. $100 for 2 cubic feet.

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

no, assuming there is no water inside your boat, foam does nothing except sit there.

I does not help you float, because the foam is not directly touching the water.

I WILL help you float should you get swamped, and get water inside your boat.

But i think foam just soaks up water, and is not really worth the trouble. It will eventually hold water, and add a lot of weight to your boat, if it gets saturated.

Expensive as Hel* too. $100 for 2 cubic feet.

So in other words if you make it a structural part of the boat then the boat itself does not take on the boincy(sp) properties of the foam. Huh:confused: well denny i think that we have a myth buster on our hands. i say you go buy that belt drive for your mower and hurry and get over here before work so that we can put our theories to the test.

what about pods on the back of the boat? they have to be incased so that they dont get saturated, so that water never comes in contact with them, just the casing around them. Same should hold true for the ones inside the boat that are affixed to the boat itself.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ohhh Boy Here We Go AGAIN!!!! Get your popcorn ready!!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

What?

The boat floats by displacing water, kinda like how you can bend a penny and make it float.

How will foam change anything about that?

Put part of a glass below water, put a cork in the empty glass, does that help the glass float more?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

The foam WILL NOT make the boat sit higher in the water. Its a basic fact. If your boat fills up with water or you get into a wreck and the boat breaks apart it is supposed to help keep the boat afloat or give you something to hold on too whyle you are waiting for the sharks to come bite your leggs off.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I am not 100% sure about this, but i want to try an experiment,

Fill the bottom of a glass with floatation of some kind, fill it so it is tight against the sides. See it it floats more than the same glass with nothing.

I doubt it.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

how many pounds of flotation is 1 cubic ft of 2 lb. density foam providing?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I think 100 lbs per cubic ft.

But don't quote me.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so basicly foam is entraped air.... so why take a part of the boat which is "air" and replace it with foam which is a little weight and more air... waist of money huh?

83mulligan

Ok so basicly foam is entraped air.... so why take a part of the boat which is "air" and replace it with foam which is a little weight and more air... waist of money huh?

because air is hard to hold on to when you are drowning

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i think we all agree, foam is nice when sinking, but IF we are willing to take the risk of sinking, does foam serve any other pupouse.

I know some hulls supposedly need foam for structural support.

I think most don't thou

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

I am talking about when you add weight to the object that you are putting in the water. NOT just the object sitting there with no weight in it

Try this. take two identical bowls and fill one halfway up with foam and super glue it to the bowl so it becomes PART OF THE BOWL. and the other leave empty. then take nuts...the ones you use to put onto a bolt...not the ones that dennys wife has of his in her purse LOL, and fill the same amount in each bowl. I havent done this yet but i would say that the bowl that is foam free will take on water and sink quicker than the one that has foam in it just because of the floatation properties that the bowl has taken on by making the foam part of the bowl itself

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that was pretty funny ok well im on my way to your house darrin

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so bucs,

you are almost comparing it to tieing a baloon to something to give it more lift?

Like the foam somehow gives the hull more lift in the water?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The foam WILL NOT make the boat sit higher in the water. Its a basic fact. If your boat fills up with water or you get into a wreck and the boat breaks apart it is supposed to help keep the boat afloat or give you something to hold on too whyle you are waiting for the sharks to come bite your leggs off.

This is just about as accurate a statement as you can get. ;)

The only thing I can add about foam is that the Coast Guard likes it in boats so when a boat explodes there is shredded foam marking the spot where the boat sank. :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Try this. take two identical bowls and fill one halfway up with foam and super glue it to the bowl so it becomes PART OF THE BOWL. and the other leave empty. then take nuts...the ones you use to put onto a bolt...not the ones that dennys wife has of his in her purse LOL, and fill the same amount in each bowl. I havent done this yet but i would say that the bowl that is foam free will take on water and sink quicker than the one that has foam in it just because of the floatation properties that the bowl has taken on by making the foam part of the bowl itself

Bingo! You are exactly WRONG! :D The bowl full of foam is heavier than the empty bowl to start, so it will take fewer nuts to make it sink.

You really should try this at home to convince yourself.

83mulligan

Bingo! You are exactly WRONG! :D The bowl full of foam is heavier than the empty bowl to start, so it will take fewer nuts to make it sink.

You really should try this at home to convince yourself.

until they both fill with water, right?