Flywheel tightening??

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,,I have a couple of evinrude motors. 9.9 and a 7.5.. I’m asking where can I find a strap wrench to hold the flywheel wnen I’m trying to torque it down. Only thing I can find at parts house is oil filter strap wrench.. Definitely need something bigger. Thx

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL!!

Yeah, google is great huh? :D

Just FYI, I've seen some posts where folks have used a screwdriver between the flywheel and the starter to hold it.
Never tried that one myself..

Also, I've read that some have removed a spark plug, inserted a length of rope into the cylinder to prevent it from completing a cycle.. This will hold it too. Remove rope when done, re-install plug..

I've even used a large heavy weight fabric belt (found at thrift store) with a pretty beefy belt buckle on it as a strap wrench once.. Worked pretty good.

Googling "Strap Wrench", "Flywheel Holder" and "Flywheel Turner" also yield some tools that could do the job..

I noticed iBoats is out of stock on them right now:
https://www.iboats.com/shop/cdi-elec...-551-5110.html

Too bad too.. They'd price match if you found it cheaper elsewhere..

Hope it helps!

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Thx I found a nylon 36” strap wrench for 20$ on Ebay. Yeah I’ve heard about the rope method,, but didn’t want to take chances. Couldn’t find a place to place screwdriver. Lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Did you buy it yet? For pennies or free, you can make one that is better than anything you can buy. All you need is a piece of 2 x 2 lumber, a piece of nylon strap, and a few nails. Viola!! You made a tool.

Attachments

• Strap Wrench.jpg
    Strap Wrench.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • Strap Wrench2.jpg
    Strap Wrench2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a piece of rope and the piece of pipe that you slip over ratchet wrenches works too.