Flywheel nut on 1973 Evinrude

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Two quick questions for al the great wrenches on the board.<br />1. What size socket fits the flywheel nut on a 1973 Evinrude 65 hp?<br /><br />2. How do you hold the flywheel while removing the nut?<br /><br />Thanks Hugh

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Flywheel nut on 1973 Evinrude

Maybe one inch -- inch and one-eighth? Big enough so you will probably need a half inch socket set.<br /><br />Without a proper tool, it's hard to hold the flywheel in place while you try to loosen the nut. They are very tight. You might be able to carefully wedge a heavy screwdriver against the block, catching the flywheel ring gear and holding it that way. But watch out or you will end up with skinned knuckles and maybe a black eye. Come to think of it, I was a fool to do it that way. I don't recommend it.

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

old boat<br /><br />I too have the scars on the knucles from doing that with automotive flywheels. The nut is larger than an 1 1/4".

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I pretty much recommend the procedure described except it would be much better to use a very good, very strong air impact wrench. A little liquid wrench penetrating oil could be helpful.

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i usually wrap a rag around the flywheel, give it a big hug as tight as possible with one arm and give the ratchet a whack with a hammer with the other hand. works every time. i tried jamming a screwdriver in the gears and against the block once and busted off a piece of the block, so i dont do that anymore.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hugh.... The socket size is 1-5/16". The proper way to hold the flywheel is to purchase a mechanics tool called a flywheel turner or spanner wrench. It's a tool used by auto mechanics to manually turn the flywheel when installing a standard shift clutch pressure plate.<br /><br />Snap On's tool is number A-144, and the curved portion that grabs the flywheel teeth must be heated somewhat and bent inwards to properly align with the curvature of the flywheel (not a difficult job to accomplish).<br /><br />Matco's tool number is FT12.<br /><br />No doubt, they are also available from other sources. Check with your local auto parts store.

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I knew you guys were great and would provide the answer. thanks to everyone I never thought about the automotve flywheel tool.If I am lucky may actual hear it run this weekend.<br />Hugh

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As we have all been talking about posting a fix ti a problem here is mine sort of.<br /><br />Joe the 1 5/16' fit fine electric impact spun it right off with out have to use the screwdriver/ rag, fly turner to hold fly wheel. That was the easy part. Put the puller on the fly whell and found out the previous owner had fubared the threads on the flywheel. So as I look for a drill bit to put the helicoil in the flywheel sitts in break free. As the rest is just a matter of getting the bolts on the puller to hold, I am satisfied with the results rcceived so I will consider this post close. Thanks to all who helped.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hugh..... One last note before you consider this post closed. When you reinstall that flywheel, have the straight edge of the key in a vertical position, not in line with the c/s taper, and torque the nut to exactly 105 foot pounds. If you neglect to torque that nut properly, the key will shear, causing damage to the flywheel and c/s tapers.