flywheel key 115hp evinrude vro

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stripped the flywheel key, got a new one, no damage done. i went to put new key in and its really hard, I got it in and verified that it was the correct one(it is). MY question is should i fit all the way in the hole on the crankshaft? I dont want to bang on it to get it in but any input would be helped. I dont want it in wrong and when I torque the flywheel it breaks again... also any input on torque flywheel would be great, I usually use a rod to hold it while i torque it...seems like they break too easy, these keys. Thanks guys!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know , the key only locates the flywheel for proper ignition timing.---The flywheel is driven by the locking tapers on the crank and flywheel when torqued to 100 FT-LBS.---Tapers must fit properly.---Tapers must be clean and dry when assembled.----When a key breaks repeatedly you may need to lap the tapers together for a proper fit.---Only use an original factory replacement key.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know , the key only locates the flywheel for proper ignition timing.---The flywheel is driven by the locking tapers on the crank and flywheel when torqued to 100 FT-LBS.---Tapers must fit properly.---Tapers must be clean and dry when assembled.----When a key breaks repeatedly you may need to lap the tapers together for a proper fit.---Only use an original factory replacement key.