FLYWHEEL HELP!!!

DYT

Cadet
Howdy fellow Chris owners.. I have a Catalina 280 with a single reverse rotation 305 with 2 piece main seal (1983). The 305 is past tired, and I decided to build a 1996 vortec short block and convert it over to Rh rotation. I used the 305 rh rotation motor as the donor for cam and lifters as the roller cam and lifters are not compatible with reverse rotation motor. everything fit great. I checked both the new crank and the donor motor side by side and the oil holes and camphors are the same. I am fully re assembled with the reverse rotation cam and gearset. here is where I am at.. I cannot find a RH rotation 5.7 flywheel with a one piece seal. Suggestions?? the ring gear is on the wrong side

alldodge

Staff member
You sure about that?
All other rings are installed by getting the flywheel cold and the ring hot. They don't move after that, easy peezy

Hey @Bondo or @Scott Danforth

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I know chriscraft did some crazy ship to sbc's over the years, but never heard of that,...

alldodge

Staff member
You built a 1996 motor and I know the 96 flywheel doesn't use a groove

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
RH and LH blocks are same, cams are the same, however timing is done with gears vs chain. Pistons are assembled different, and crank casting is the same except the knurling on crank is different for RH motors (or you pump oil out)

Flywheel is same, however flywheel for inboard is different than flywheel for I/O. That is why the ring gear is in a different location. Because the starter is mounted from behind on an Inboard vs an I/O

You will NEVER find a RH 1-piece RMS rotating kit, because they do not exist. They can be created if you know what you are doing and have a complete machine shop at your disposal

The world figured it was easier to do the switching in the trans than it is to mess with the motor.

alldodge

Staff member
Looked up both I/O and IB 5.7 for 1996. There are different flywheels, and they both weight 33 LBs. The bell housing does show the IB starter comes in from the rear, all parts can be obtained today

If you look at the side views of the 2 it sure looks to me like the ring gear is just on the other side

IB P/N 8M0083286
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-applications-applications-1987-newer-222-8M0083286/dp/B07WJWS7PY

I/O P/N 8M0047213
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Mercruiser-applications-1987-newer-222-8M0047213/dp/B07VXX4QRM

Scott Danforth

Staff member
BTW, it would be cheaper to change your trans and build two LH motors than to try to make a RH motor

DYT

Cadet
Update... I did it. Machined a new flywheel , found 1 piece reverse rotation oil seals, had to use old school timing chain cover, used the cam and lifters from the 83 motor along with the gear drive. Used the old heads and had to toss the roller lifters for the old school. Bought the Volvo hei distro.. runs like a dream!! Alot of effort.. but worth it to save the single screw Chris.

DYT

Cadet
BTW, it would be cheaper to change your trans and build two LH motors than to try to make a RH motor
FYI. It has to be reverse rotation. You can't dock the boat on the port side which is standard for crafts of this size. The reverse rotation, and when the boat is in reverse ( when docking) the rotation of the RH prop in reverse causes some desired prop walking which causes the hips of the boat to snug up on the port side making docking a breeze. In the opposite direction, it's a nightmare. It's also a single screw Catalina. There is not a velvet drive or adapter, made that allows for LH rotation with a RH drive prop.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
FYI. It has to be reverse rotation.
if you notice, I stated to change the trans, you dont need a reverse rotation motor. both standard rotation motors, one prop turns right, one prop turns left.

DYT

Cadet
If you noticed there is NOT a transmission made for that purpose. This is a single screw inboard.

DYT

Cadet
Well cool.. I like being corrected.. can you show me a link for LH motor rotation ( now standard) transmission with RH propeller shaft rotation? I'd buy it tomorrow.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well cool.. I like being corrected.. can you show me a link for LH motor rotation ( now standard) transmission with RH propeller shaft rotation? I'd buy it tomorrow.
Any of today's marine transmissions. ZF, twin disc, velvet drive, etc.

They are all for LH motors and your choice of RH or LH as fwd