Flushing engine through hose damage

SeaLord

Seaman Apprentice
my 5.7 gl-a 2001 has a flush port hose. Manual says not to run the engine while flushing through the port. I get that this is because the water pump is not fed. By mistake my boat boy in a moment of laziness instead of installing the muffs decided to go for the flush port and run the engine for 15 minutes. A part for the water impeller what else should i check before putting the boat in the water ? Might also the pump be damaged ?
I guess that the flushing system inject water in the close circuit otherwise the engine may not be flushed if t is not running since the thermostat may not be opened. If I am right I will need to check the thermostat gasket and O-ring too. What else ?

By the way I live in a tropical country where temperature would never get below 68 F. Can I get rid of the thermostat ? The manual discourage from doing so. why ?

Thanks

Last edited:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Flushing engine through hose damage

Your impeller probably disintegrated. Make sure you account for all the pieces of the impeller. Basically start at the water pump and go everywhere the water goes to find the pieces. if you don't you may end up with an overheat situation. You need the t-stat in your engine because it keeps your engine at a constant temp where it runs most efficiently by opening and closing while you're running your boat. You'll have to open the pump and look for any scorch marks to determine damage. Wiggle the shaft the impeller goes on to make sure the bearings that hold it in place aren't shot. Pictures would help. Here's hoping you get lucky. :D

SeaLord

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I found the impelller in as new condition (compared with the new one that I hold in stock). Pulley turns regularly without noise. may I safely assume that no further investigation is needed ?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I would just check the inside sides of the pump (where the impeller vanes make contact with the sides) if they are not all black or appear to have large black smudges on them I would say you dodged a bullet. I suspect that water got down to the pump and both cooled and lubricated the impeller while running off the hose even if the pump wasn't pumping. It usually doesn't take more than a few minutes without water to destroy the impeller and send pieces all over the cooling system. By the way if the inside walls are all black, clean carefully with brake cleaner, wd-40 or the like and replace the impeller even if the old one looks like new. That black came off the ends of the impeller and the old one won't cool as effectively as a new one would. Remember to change out the impeller out every other year to be safe.

Assuming no black walls in the pump and the old impeller still looks like new with no wear or cracks anywhere on it then yes you can safely assume you're all set and consider yourself among the fortunate few!! :thumb::D