Florida tap/ drinking water

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Florida or anyone else, I have a question. Actually my husband asked while we were watching one of our weekly shows CSI:Miami. Where do you get your water? Ocean? Rivers? Is it treated? Just what is up with your drinking water? I didn't know where to go, but I thought Iboats is a start. Hope someone can help.<br />Bassy

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Florida tap/ drinking water

Our water comes from aquifers. Here in the NW part of Florida our water comes from the Floridan Aquifer. Some people get there water from wells that are drilled into the same aquifers as municipal water systems. For years the water levels in the Floridan have been dropping because we haven't had enough rain from here to North Georgia to replenish the water that is pumped out. For this reason my neighboring country, Okaloosa County, is considering building a dam across the Yellow river. That would provide a huge water reservoir, plus they say they can make some electricity with it. I say it's big fat load of BS. I like to fish on the Yellow River, some of the most beautiful parts of Gods creation are up that river. The reason Okaloosa County is having water shortages is because on the south end of the county there has been a construction boom going on for 20 or 30 years. What used to be beautiful unspoiled beach and sand dunes is now huge condos, hundreds of 'em, and big upscale neighborhoods with manicured lawns. All that growth on the south end of the county has outstripped the resources of a county that was largely an agricultural and military town. They say that since there has been such strong opposition to the dam that they will do a study to look at other options, like desalinization, which would make more sense to me since the area that needs the water is sitting right there on the mother loving Gulf Of Mexico.<br /><br />The whole state has been experiencing water shortages because until last year we had drought conditions for many years. Have you ever heard about sink holes in south Florida swallowing houses and stuff? Those happen when the aquifers are pumped dry and then they collapse.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It comes from the Florida aquifer. It is basically an underground well system that has "good" water because it ends up being filtered through a whole bunch of layers of rock and sand. Where I live, I have my own well. The deeper you go, supposedly the better the water. Before my chlorinator and carbon filter, my water is stinky (sulfur smell). It is ok to drink, but most of my visitors from up north think we are serving them swamp water.<br /><br />Below are some links for you:<br /><br /> http://sflwww.er.usgs.gov/publications/wri/90-4108/aqframework.html <br /><br /> http://coastgis.marsci.uga.edu/summit/aquifers_fla.htm

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Soulwinner. I have a better idea now about your water situation. Thanks for replying.<br />Bassy

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you, Scooch_2. Those links are exactly what I needed.<br /> We're on a well here too. Good water and after a charcoal filter,excellent drinking water.<br /> Thanks again for the links.<br />bassy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I just had a well run dry, and had to have a deeper well put down. Increasing population is placing an incresing demand on the aquafier, and soon we will be drinkin salt water.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whenever my wife and I went to Florida for vacation, she always thought I was crazy because when I would drink the water it tasted aweful! I thought it tasted like chlorine or like scooch said, swamp water (Well, maybe not that bad!) My wife claims she couldnt taste it, but I can even smell it before I drink it from the cup. I got smart and started buying bottled beverages.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well Bassy....livin' along the Muddy Banks of the Great Ohio, water ain't no big problem. Towns along the river pump water from wells along the river, purify, chlorinate, aereate and who knows what else, and usually pump it to a reservoir or storage tank. Some towns got good water, some towns got "so-so" water, depending on their purification system. And 90% of it is hard as a brick!

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Who drinks water!! Beer or nothing. Water will rust your bones. Besides, you ought to see what fish do in it!!!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

OBJ, you live way up river from me. Im in an east side suburb of Cincinnati. In fact, I will be down on the river camping this weekend.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I envey you samagee. Love to do that. We had my Dad's camper over on the Muddy Banks a couple tmes. Had a ball!!! Only a couple minutes away from home but it's just the thing about being there.....know what I mean?? Campfires, fishing till the wee hours of the morning...kids doing what kids do.....just the experience.