flooring

knarrman

Cadet
really struggling on this one.....repairing the floor on my 18' larson...plywood floor w/ glass 18" in on both sides....looking to replace rotted section in middle....what are the exact steps need to accomplish task....cheapest method(doesn't have to be perfect)....and will be painting floor when finished(no carpet which was originally there)...any help would be appreciated

knarrman

Cadet
Re: flooring

also...curious....would it be ok to screw the new plywood to the stringers and paint it w/ rustoleum w/ non-skid additive?...and again..thanks for the advice

Knarrman, I am in the process of doing something similar to my 18 foot bowrider. One idea I had which I dont recall ever reading about here is, Make The Template First, thats right lay out some cardboard to cover the area you plan on cutting out and then trace the shape onto the floor. Use the same cardboard to trace the shape on the new floor material. You should end up with a nice fit, I believe this would work for a full floor replacement also. You can easily find out what next to do by doing a search on floor repair in this fourm

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

knarrmann, It would be best if you replaced the plywood and glassed it over. The paint will not provide the protection of poly resin.<br /><br />The accepted method is to cut out the bad section. I use a skilsaw set to the proper depth. Now you need to screw the new piece to something, so continue to cut out the original floor until you can have the new and old floor join on a stringer. Cut the new floor to shape and seal the bottom and end grain with poly resin. Now sand the old floor down to raw fiberglass, aroung the perimeter of the joint. Use stainless wood screws to screw in the new flooy, and fill any gaps with poly putty. Now paint a layer of poly resin over the new floor and several inches of the old floor and lay (at leaset one piece of)cloth over the wet resin. Continue to saturate the cloth with resin, until completely saturated. Let it harden and add a second coat of resin. If the weave of the cloth shows thru, a third coat is in order. You can paint it when all the poly resin has cured. You can also tint the resin to assist with the coloring of the final floor.

knarrman

Cadet

just wanted to say thank you Chris...you just gave me the advice I've been looking for...really wanted to do fiber...but couldn't get good advice on exactly what to buy...but you just made it real simple..again...thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

knarrman, I did not think poly putty would be hard to find. Usually any place that sells poly resin carries it. I happened to buy my supply at West Marine.<br />Good luck with your project.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by tengals123:<br /> make your own. using glass fiber strands. cheers
tengals, hows the project comin? Need pictures! Can't wait to see how your new walk thru/windshield turns out.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

boomyal, Im fitting the flooring tonight. The windsheild is being fabricated as we speak, it's 3 weeks away. I CANT WAIT TOO!!!!!<br /><br />cheers,<br />I'll post pics of the floor tomorrow.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

knarrman<br /><br />Another recommendation when trimming out the section of floor and cutting a plywood "patch."<br /><br />Bevel the edges, both on your hole and your patch, at 30 to 45 degrees so that all edges of the patch are supported.