flooring?

the Traveler

Cadet
Just purchased an old l964 Traveler boat. Fiberglass bottom and top. real nice.
It has a fiberglass over plywood floor and I was wondering if I can lay carpet
on this or do you restore back to natural? Needs paint or something, ugly.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: flooring?

Welcome ti iboats.

Owner's choice ;) Carpet, paint, nonslip surface....... just about anything you want to spend money and labor on

the Traveler

Cadet

Bob; thanks for reply. Typical woman here, can not decide on anything.
LOL. I love this old boat. It has good bones and looks to be a runner at
one time, however, the motor NOT so good. l00merc. full of saltwater,salt,
bees, etc. Bought one on warranty 70hp merc, hoping this will push this
time machine for me. we shall see. Reason for floor question, I need a non
skid material, hubby not to stable, getting old "ain't that the truth"....thanks
again, will post before and after shots.

Attachments

• Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 178.jpg
    Picture 178.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Ugly is one thing, is it sealed, is the real question. once your sure it's fine, it's like Bob said, your choice...non slip paint is fine and cheap, carpeting{which I like} depends...some can be quite slippery when wet. Lot's of options out there to chose from...do some homework and you'll be happy in your selection for years to come! ;)

JCNailen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to Lowes and got some really nice marine carpet. It was really easy and turned out really nice. Go to my link below to see the pics.

However... Now that I have done it, I have changed my mind. For a ski/runabout it might be great. But, mine is going to be used for fishing and for working, so I have decided to rip out the carpet and replace with either a non-skid painted floor, or bedliner. I want to be able to hose it out easily.

Think about your purposes with the boat then decide.

the Traveler

Cadet

Ugly is one thing, is it sealed, is the real question. once your sure it's fine, it's like Bob said, your choice...non slip paint is fine and cheap, carpeting{which I like} depends...some can be quite slippery when wet. Lot's of options out there to chose from...do some homework and you'll be happy in your selection for years to come! ;)

I am sending the seats out for repair/reupholstering. and I like the carpet
idea, but will this not hold the moisture longer and not drain well? worries me.
Yes, the boat is sealed. the Marine Mech. filled it with water when he pulled
my old engine off for me. It did not leak a drop. He then lifted front and
it drained out properly, despite some debri filling drain hole. LOL. All's good
mate. thanks for responding. Miss Jan the hope to be sailor soon.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

...but will this not hold the moisture longer and not drain well? worries me.

Hey Miss Jan, if the deck{floor} is properly sealed, ie: glassed over, your carpet would more than likely wear out long before the deck would be effected/ruined. Yes carpet will hold moisture. Some here lay the carpet with snap's, this allows it to be removed if needed{as in soaked}. If yours is a trailer boat, properly raising the tongue during storage will allow drainage. If it's not garaged kept, I would suggest air drying it before covering it, or if need be, cover it and re-open it to dry when the weather permit's.

Another line of thought using non-slip paint or vinyl, is to consider throw rugs with anti slip backings...may be the best of both worlds this way, would at least be much easier to clean/dry... hope this helps some!

the Traveler

Cadet

Hey Miss Jan, if the deck{floor} is properly sealed, ie: glassed over, your carpet would more than likely wear out long before the deck would be effected/ruined. Yes carpet will hold moisture. Some here lay the carpet with snap's, this allows it to be removed if needed{as in soaked}. If yours is a trailer boat, properly raising the tongue during storage will allow drainage. If it's not garaged kept, I would suggest air drying it before covering it, or if need be, cover it and re-open it to dry when the weather permit's.

Another line of thought using non-slip paint or vinyl, is to consider throw rugs with anti slip backings...may be the best of both worlds this way, would at least be much easier to clean/dry... hope this helps some!

Oh now that makes sense. I really like the carpet Idea. I went to lowes. They do have it there. Drying it out is a great Idea too. I have carport and cover for the old scow, but since I have owned it (2weeks) I have it covered. Even the hot hot sun is killing it. Hate when people just let there nice things go to ruins....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... makes me feel good to bring it back to the water once again. LOL...Nuts...., but I see real beauty in this one.
I got the new Used motor on today. what a beast of a job that was.

70 HP, and runs good, so will start decoration ( ha ha ) on the floor in a.m.
be it carpet or gel coat? hmmmmm will sleep on it. LOL. thanks so much
for all the good tips. Love the forum......

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well good luck on whatever you deside.One thought is--you have to vaccum your house,why the boat too--also if anything is dropped or spilled might stain or discolor--fish blood & guts--Long and short of it--carpet once glued down leaves a wonderful mess to remove (how do I know this) doing it right now!! I plan to use paint,if stuff happens--tilt the front up high and shoot it with the hose--Done.Course,that's just me.:D