Flooring HELP

crofoot

Cadet
JB I have already got the 1-1/8 replacement material sealed and prepped to go in. The old stuff was screwed down with stainless screws and I planned to do the same. Had not thought about rivets. Where would I source rivets that long. I do plan to go back in the same holes.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That piece came from the aft piece of the deck .One of three. The whole deck is of the same material.
Need more pix, cant really tell much in that 1 most recent pix.

Asked if there was any evidence there had been prior work done?

Honestly, that 1st pix you posted looks more and more like swollen 3/4in. 1.25in thick ply should have more layers of ply then the 7 shown in your pix.

IIRC, 7plys is whats typical for 3/4in plywood.....

crofoot

Cadet
A few rehabs that had decks replaced previously w screws found that some wallered out the hole in the stringers. Admittedly, IMO, it was partially likely to have been 1 of a handful of other problems that compounded each other, IE: overdriven screws going thru very thin stock used for stringers that doesnt have much 'grab' for screw threads, running w a softening deck, pounding the ever loving heck out of an aluminum boat, not making sure the deck was down tight before driving screw home, etc, etc etc.

Rivets, done right and sealed to the plywood (dipped in 3m 5200) would be plenty sufficient and was how boat was built.

Brazier head, closed end rivets are amazingly strong.
How would you install solid head rivets? I would like to use rivets if possible.

crofoot

Cadet
Need more pix, cant really tell much in that 1 most recent pix.

Asked if there was any evidence there had been prior work done?

Honestly, that 1st pix you posted looks more and more like swollen 3/4in. 1.25in thick ply should have more layers of ply then the 7 shown in your pix.

IIRC, 7plys is whats typical for 3/4in plywood.....
It is NOT 3/4 inch. I believe it was a replacement floor done in the late 70s.I have no idea what was original but everything else is fit to this. It is 1 1/8 thick and I was able to source 1 1/8 marine plywood to replace it.

todhunter

Canoeist
How would you install solid head rivets? I would like to use rivets if possible.
I can answer that one because I've driven many on airplanes. You typically use a pneumatic rivet gun (sort of like an air hammer with a certain attachment to fit the type of rivet head you're driving) and a bucking bar. The rivet gun goes on the side with the pre-formed head, and the bucking bar is held on the back side. As the pneumatic rivet gun is used, the bucking bar flattens the back side of the rivet.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I can answer that one because I've driven many on airplanes. You typically use a pneumatic rivet gun (sort of like an air hammer with a certain attachment to fit the type of rivet head you're driving) and a bucking bar. The rivet gun goes on the side with the pre-formed head, and the bucking bar is held on the back side. As the pneumatic rivet gun is used, the bucking bar flattens the back side of the rivet.
Um, yeah, thats how its done, but not possible in this case..

It is NOT 3/4 inch. I believe it was a replacement floor done in the late 70s.I have no idea what was original but everything else is fit to this. It is 1 1/8 thick and I was able to source 1 1/8 marine plywood to replace it.
Rivets are covered here

Closed end, large flange blind 3/16 rivets for the deck.

Other parts & pieces can use solids,

crofoot

Cadet
Um, yeah, thats how its done, but not possible in this case..

Rivets are covered here

Closed end, large flange blind 3/16 rivets for the deck.

Other parts & pieces can use solids,
Very informative article on rivets thank you.

crofoot

Cadet
Very informative article on rivets thank you.
There is a piece of aluminum sheet between floor and stringers is this how it was from the factory and how much did it cover? Mine goes from the cabin stepdown to two feet from transom

jbcurt00

Staff member
There is a piece of aluminum sheet between floor and stringers is this how it was from the factory and how much did it cover? Mine goes from the cabin stepdown to two feet from transom
A thin strip was laid port to starboard across the top of the stringers at the edge of each plywood sheet of the deck. You use it as a joiner cleat. Ties them together

Allows you to join all the sheets into a single huge sheet of plywood that runs fore and aft the length of the deck.

crofoot

Cadet
A thin strip was laid port to starboard across the top of the stringers at the edge of each plywood sheet of the deck. You use it as a joiner cleat. Ties them together

Allows you to join all the sheets into a single huge sheet of plywood that runs fore and aft the length of the deck.
thanks for your help. I am sure I will need more as this goes along. Now for the drill and rivet gun.

Attachments

• kiwi6.JPG
    kiwi6.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 9
  • kiwi7.JPG
    kiwi7.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 9