Floor seperating from hull question

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found a boat for sale (mid 70s Fiberglass Forester) I haven't looked at it yet but the seller says the only issue is the floor is starting to separate from the sidewall in a small area on the starboard side at the steering console back. Question is is this fixable within reason time and $$$ wise for a novice at floor work? Another question is what would cause this to happen? I'm assuming moisture?

Here is a pic of the area in question, sorry its so small:

2011_0131stuff0012.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor seperating from hull question

How long has it been that way? Has it been exposed to the elements that way? Are there soft spots in the Deck (Boats don't have floors). How much is he asking? This COULD be a MAJOR project if the stringers below have been exposed to moisture and have begun to rot. How about the transom? Is it Solid. You need to ask a LOT of questions before investing any money into this boat. I bought mine, boat motor and trailer for $250 and it had only cosmetic issues. NO major structural issues. This one COULD be a lot of work. BE CAREFUL

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will find out more info when I talk to him hopefully tomm. Hes asking not much more than you payed for yours including trailer and motor.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

walk away or spend 25 hundred in repairs

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I've never seen "just some minor deck repairs" other than in an ad. Most likely you're going to see a total restore like oops said, get ready to spend some bucks and a LOT of time. Look at the pictures in my thread on the 92 Astro. It was "just a small soft spot in the deck, easy fix". There wasn't one piece of solid wood anywhere in it.

rickryder

Commander

I agree with oops and Cadwelder.... I too bought the just a soft spot on the deck boat.....I am currently repalcing the stringers,foam and deck.....So much for the cheep boat! NO such thing! Good Luck!