Floor replacement alternatives

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The floor on my 15' 1979 MFG is soft and needs replaced. I think the stringers also will need replaced along with floatation foam. I've checked through the threads here in the restoration forum and haven't found what I'm looking for. <br /><br />What are my alternatives to a conventional floor replacement? Are there any type of deck flooring I can put down that does not require glassing? What about some type of "trex" type of decking that is weather proof? Would that be too heavy? I may head out to Lowes and look at that composite decking and see if it might be something that will work.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Floor replacement alternatives

are you trying to avoid fiberglass work, because even if you put in composite deck flooring, you would still have to bond it to the hull with fiberglass to prevent all that water from flowing into the bilge. however, it would be interesting to find out, because it wouldn't involve near as much fiberglass as doing a traditional wood floor.

BillP

Captain

You can buy composite sheeting that is structural like plywood. It's what some boat builders use and there are several different brands and types. The stuff is very pricy and heavy. I checked a few years ago and cost was $300-$500 per 4x8 sheet. That's why more builders don't use it. Google for info, I don't have it anymore.

Bondo

Staff member

That sheet of Plywood,... Once it's Glassed into place,.....<br />Contributes ALOT of Structural stability to the Hull.........<br /><br />I think you're Headed the Wrong Way.........

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I hate the thought of glassing. I've never done it before and I'm sure it will be a real chore. But I guess if glassing a sheet of plywood in will help the integrety of the boat tthen maybe I should bite the bullet and just do it.<br /><br />Where is the best place to buy resin and floatation foam? I've heard it can be pretty expensive and I'm on a budget. Do I have to use the expensive epoxy resin or can I use the cheaper polyester resin? Also, is there any alternatives to floatation foam? I've heard that some people actually strap empty plastic pop bottle together and atatch them to the stringers. What are my options?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

are your wife and kids going to be riding in this boat? have you seen what the sun does to pop bottles imho options none.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You can use poly, it will work just fine. You can try alternative floatation if you want, but the foam is really the best way to go. Just remember that your life and your family's lives are worth more than the money saved by skimping. Good luck...

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there a website that whows how to use the foam and where it belongs in the boat? The floor piece I am replacing will be around 8.5' long and 4.5 feet wide.<br /><br />Also how much resin will I need to complete this project? Will a gallon be enough?

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check out uscomposites.com for some pretty good prices. you should put foam everywhere under the floor except in the center bilge scetion(s), because the water needs to flow from there to the bilge box in the rear. i can't think of any sites that describe the use of foam, but if you search the forums, some people have given their own tutorials that i have found in the past.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The foam is pretty easy to use. The main thing you have to remember is to mix it in small amounts or you could have a mess on your hands. Also, you should calculate how much you actually need. Usually in a boat of your size if you just fill all the under floor voids it is enough. I used about 16 cubic feet for mine, depending on weight and available room as well as weight of boat you could probably get by with 8 cubic feet of foam. <br /><br />As far as resin goes, you will probably need to start out with at least five gallons. It really depends on the size and structure of the boat. I used something like twelve gallons on mine, so you might get by with five to eight gallons. Its hard to say. You are best off buying the resin in bulk. I bought mine from a boat rebuilding shop for 17-ish bucks a gallon if I remember rightly. <br /><br />Do you have any boat rebuilding shops in you area? If so, I recommend you go there and ask them questions, and see if they will show you a work in progress. If they are cool, they can give you an idea of what you should do, and you can see what is involved. I did that and it was invaluable as far as info goes. Good luck..

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5 gallons.... Are you serious? Holy cow I'd never have dreamed it would take 5 galloons to glass in some stringers and maybe 1.5 sheets of plywood. Of course I've never worked with fiberglass so I'm no expert. Seems like a lot. <br /><br />I'll do a search on foaming techniques.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've figured it out to be about 8 gallons for my stringers (but i have 5 18ft. stringers)... i was amazed to figure that out! i haven't done it yet, but i hope that's enough. we'll see!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bws, study Jason J's website. it explains things pretty well.