Floor Repair-Rotten Wood

Walleye King

Seaman
I just bought a boat that I know the outdrive and motor are in good shape, but the boat interior is shot. An AMP 17' with a mercruiser 120 for 500 good price to a point. This is a replacement for my 15-1/2' fishing boat, with 4 kids and me and the old lady we are out of room and need something bigger.<br /><br />The wood is shot and it is fiberglass coated. Main deck area of an open bow boat and the entire floor is spongy and I put 2 holes in it just walking around, the bow's floor is fiberglass and part of the hull mold.(?)<br /><br />I read a post about repairing the floor and I need to know would I apply the sheets to both sides of the plywood or just the top side? Should I do all 6 sides or install it and glass it in after wards? How many layers of fiberglass would suffice?<br /><br />The seats/cushions for the open bow and the sides that are backed with plywood, would you use marine grade there too or would exterior grade plywood work as well?<br /><br />If I am changing the wood out anyways should I go to 5/8" or stay with the 1/2"? For $4 difference in price I get more strength.<br /><br />Sorry for all the questions, but I will never have the money for a new boat, and I would like to do this and do it right the first time and be able to enjoy it and not have to redo it. 6th and last boat I hope.

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Floor Repair-Rotten Wood

walleye now don't despairer do a search on the skanky beast at the top of the page and read all of jason's Post of his restoration and there is some great advise in them. I followed them and did my boat and it is turning out pretty well. and as far as being your last boat i doubt it you forgot the grandkids :) :)

Walleye King

Seaman

yeah true, I said that 3 times I think my last boat. Still always changing them like underwear, like to be able to do that with my wife, make a change. ;) <br /><br />I can say that in here, she will never be in here to read!

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Walleye<br /><br />Been there done that. web page <br />I recommend you install the marine plywood first then glass it. It'll be a lot easier installing and you wont have to screw thru what you just glassed. My floor was 3/4". Thicker is better. If it don't match up with the molded part of the boat just right, take some fiberglass reinforced Bondo and smooth the seem out at that point. One good coat with stranded mat will suffice. You might have enough marine ply left to do your cushion backs, if not don't sweat it, the exterior will do fine with reasonable care.

Walleye King

Seaman

I like the finished product!! Looks great! I have to replace the stringers as well, got the bad news today, a little bit depressing but we will get through it, main thing right now is getting it in the water to fish the rest of the year, then really re-do the whole boat.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Walleye<br /><br />You and I see eye to eye on that. When I was a younger feller I would have said, "I need to get this boat fixed so I can go fishin'." Now I've got my priorities straight. Fish first then work.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Don't use ply that is more thick than you need, it is just extra weight, and we all know extra weight in a boat is a bad thing. Use the thickness that was originally used, and glass it in with a layer of heavy roving around all joints, and sheath the entire floor with mat. If you choose to use floatation foam, use enough to fill entire stringer voids and that will provide even more support. It is too tempting to overbuild when rebuilding a boat, and all you get is more expensive and heavier boat. Good luck....

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Jason is right. Going from 1/2" ply to 5/8" will add 10 lbs. per 4' X 8' sheet.

Walleye King

Seaman

Well I considered that but that would be another 20#'s so it isn't that extrame I don't believe, but then again what do I know?? :confused: <br /><br />I got the priorities right and in order! Have to get the floor done fast so that I can go fishing! Unless my old boat isn't sold then I can still fish while doing the repair!<br /><br />I am really puzzled about the motor mounts here, Have to pull the motor outand would rather i didn't have to do that.<br /><br />I am considering now pulling the motor, plugging the back end and going to a larger outboard motor to accompany the 9.9. That may really turn into a big job!