floor removal

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys,<br />i'm wanting to remove the flooring in my 77 Manatee 180 Bowrider. is the best tool to use? just a jigsaw? i'm just wondering, becuase there's a possibility it could cut through the hull near where it is fiberglassed along the edges. i was thinking of maybe using a dremel with a saw bit (only about an inch and a half) to cut through, because it shouldn't cut through the hull.<br /><br />thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: floor removal

A 4,1/2" Grinder is Your Best Friend when Rebuilding a Boat..........<br /><br />A Dremel Just Doesn't have enough POWER.......

deputy00791

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,<br /><br />I have a 1985 18' bowrider. I had to remove the olf floor. I used a cutting blade on my 4 1/2 grinder where there was room and I fniched the corners with a dremel. Good luck.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

You could use a circular say setting the blade depth shallow at first. Start by cutting a small square in the center of the floor, setting the blade deeper until you cut through the flooring. The idea is to determine the flooring depth without cutting into the stringers. Once you determine the right blade depth you can remove the floor in pieces You can go to something smaller and more manueverable to clean up the edges after you take most of the floor. <br /><br />Hopefully this will allow you to get the floor up without damaging the stringers any more than you have to. <br /><br />Good Luck.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

mikemerrill50,<br /><br />Like Bondo said a grinder is your best friend when it comes to working on the hull. I use mine frequently.<br /><br />Also like Terry said, use a circular saw (with a blade you don't care too much about, or one you can pitch after you are done), set the depth and get rid of the big pieces. Trim with the grinder and if you really must break out the dremel.<br /><br />I used a combination of cutting wheel and sand paper (30 grit) on my grinder to remove old floor and glass, worked great.<br /><br />Be very careful with the grinder, very high RPM and can eat through leather gloves real fast, wear gloves and eye protection, a must! On more than one occasion my gloves saved some serious injury to my hands.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

face masks are a must too. You don't want to breath in any of the dust you are going to make when you start cutting and grinding the fibreglass.<br /><br />Most professionals will wear a desposable full body suit to do this sort of work, it really help prevent getting the F/G itch.

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

#1 circular saw method from previous post works GREAT. Also get/rig/buy a dust collection inport for your saw/shopvac to suck dust as you create it, you'll be SO much happier you did. <br /><br />#2 RESPIRATOR, not a dust mask. Masks are USELESS! FG glass is N A S T Y. You'll use it later when glassing/painting too. Its my #1 piece of P.P.E. Don't forget goggles<br /><br />#3 cheap TYVEK suits, buy larger than needed. Use latex sytle gloves and duct tape the wrists. Keep the FG dust away from ANY ppart of yourself with whatever method possible. <br /><br />When leaving FG work for the day shopvac off then use compressed air. <br /><br />Final tip- Buy a LARGE loofa for in the shower. It gets the micro-itchy particles that WILL find their way into exposed skin around your head, eyes and neck. After the shower I use these two to relieve the pains of FG work: budweiser and dry skin lotion- LOL<br /><br />Oh, have fun- this is the worst part of re-doing glass. Its all easier from here on in! :)

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow... haha. didn't realize it was so much to worry about! the floor has a very slight fiberglass level to it, but i'll get the suit anyways. i'm looking at a circular saw that runs about $40, has 2.3hp, 16 amps, 4600rpm, and has a 7.25" blade. i won't need anything much more powerful than that one. that should cut through fiberglass and wood fairly easily.<br /><br />thanks!