floor is gone-still a few questions after searching

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice
floor is gone-still a few questions after searching

Hey everybone after walking on the sponge I looked and yep, she's gone. I read some of the archives in the resto part, but I think I have more questions than answers. <br /> My boat is a 17' stratos, very narrow floor. I pulled up some rotten wood and found what appears to be a beam running from front to rear. Is this a stringer. I drilled a whole in a few spots, tough on top, soft or gone in middle.<br /> It has foam on the sides of this beam to. Do I remove the foam and what / where should I get more at or should use any, some peple here say yes some no. The forward and aft compartments are dry and sound. Just the 4 x 4 wide floor to fix - thanks Mike<br /> Can anyone put up a pic for me -

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: floor is gone-still a few questions after searching

Yes the "beams" are stringers and if they are soft inside then they should be replaced, front to back as they are what keeps the hull stiff and straight. I think you are going to have to remove the foam (at least in part) just to replace the stringer(s) properly.<br /><br />Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think boat builders use the foam for the fact that it aids in providing stiffness and it also provides another benifit, sound dampening. In some cases (likely not yours) it's used to prevent the boat from sinking completely. So based on that I would replace it when done.

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks - Mike

hey just finished my bayliner capri floor, removed foam, decided not to put it in and the boat supply shop wouldnot let me leave until i bought the foam. replace your stringers & fiberglass them in, simple I never did fg before either. simple & two part foam is easy to use & definitly reuse. good luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

6 year old thread......