Floor Covering For Fishing Boat, Paint Or Vinyl

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
I"m replaceing the deck on a 16' aluminum fishing boat. it had carpet, always wet. I 'm contemplating either a painted floor or non-skid vinyl floor. pros and cons of each would be appreciated.I may even use a snap in carpet for recreational use, but i mainly use it to fish. Thanks

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Floor Covering For Fishing Boat, Paint Or Vinyl

I used my boat for diving. The vinyl (nautolex) worked ok, but peeled up due to my not using the "standard" adhesive with it. Also, the edges will peel up unless they're mechanically held down... like a house's carpet, they need edging or tacking down with staples.

It also lost part of its pattern when I spilled acetone on it.. the texture is "cast" into the vinyl but the color (shark grey) was printed onto that.

Occasionally water got under the vinyl too.

Next time I'm going with an epoxy floor paint with nonskid pads or painted nonskid in places.

Erik

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vinyl is a great looking product. Paint would probably be the cheapest. I put Vinyl in a 1963 Sea King restoration: http://rides.webshots.com/album/570373113GtbioD I could not be happier.

I bought the vinyl from Defender. I also got the glue from them. Pretty expensive. I think I would go with the vinyl adhesive from Lowes or Homedepot next time. You definitely have to tack the vinyl down. I did that with mine by tacking it down under the floor so you could not see the staples. I believe if you do it right vinyl will last a long time. Paint is a good alternative since you can always repaint. Carpet? Depends upon how you use your boat. If it is a pleasure boat that is used occasionally and garage kept, it sure is nice. Choice a light color regardless of what you put down. A bright sun on a dark floor will burn a bare foot pretty quick.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

colors are important as stated...

Dark can get too hot..

light can be too bright...

And avoid gloss and semi gloss for decks

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Non-Skid/Epoxy paint would be good,With vinyl I saw a good trick where they rolled it under the deck to help hold it down. Just make sure you make allowances for the extra thickness when rolled under :D The down side of that was you saw the rivets because you have to rivet thru the vinyl.

stylesabu

thanks for the input, i was leaning towards paint.also for heads up on color and glare

bear_69cuda

Commander

I painted with Durabak. You can check out results on my resto-mod thread below. I will never own a boat with carpet unless it's snap-in. I love the fact I can use a hose, scrub and wash deck, a rinse the works out the drain. Too me it makes carpet on a deck seem like a total PTA. Good luck!

stylesabu

thanks bear, nice cuda, I own a 1966 charger 383 a/c car. I saw a post earlier on durabak. i think thats the way i'll go