Floor and Stringer Replacement Questions

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

This spring, once the weather allows, I plan on replacing the floor of my 1974 MFG Super Caprice and possibly the stringers. This is something I should have done when I originally overhauled the interior of the boat but that is now in the past. I would appreciated any help that you guys could provide to some of my questions:

1. Will leaving the engine on the boat cause anything to move on me (this is a brand new 115 Evinrude ETEC)?

2. Can I replace the floor and stringers without having to build a support for the hull (this will be done on a trailer)?

I have read the sticky post on the top of this forum regarding resins, fiberglass mats, foam, etc... so I won't bog you guys down with that, I have some what of an idea of what I am going to do.

Steven

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor and Stringer Replacement Questions

My opinion....removing the motor and popping the cap, while an initial pain, makes everything else easier.

tallcanadian

Captain

If the floor(deck) and stringers are bad, chances are your transom is likely getting soft as well. I agree with ezmobee in that removing your outboard, although tedious, with benefit your work. Take the cap off and start stripping. You can leave it on your trailer, like I did with mine. Just remember when you start your re construction perhaps tie a couple of straps around the hull to keep it in shape. Is that your boat on youtube, under the outlaw something or rather? Good luck. We always encourage pictures on here as well.

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

Pulling the engine doesn't scare me, I had the old one on and off during the original restore. But the cap is a different story. The transom is still in good condition, the marina that installed the engine was very reputable and check it prior to install.

As for the you tube video, that is me, I have no idea you figured that out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX7g9R87E_U
Big difference over the 74' 85 HP Evinrude.

I will be documenting the entire floor replacement, but here are some pictures from last year (my father brought the boat brand new in 1974, he was 23, broke down in the late 90's and sat all this time, until I decide to work on it, 25 at the time).

p185739879-3.jpg

p321251941-3.jpg

p102159973-3.jpg

p226000331-3.jpg

p162408115-3.jpg

p521046120-3.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

Great looking boat. Nice job on the interior as well. I'm not a stalker, I just googled your boat name and year and came upon the video. I was actually looking to see just which MFG model it was. Not sure if it was a trihull or not. Your lucky that your transom is okay. That's most of your work right there. And you should have no issues in doing that work on your trailer.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Great looking boat! I especially like the off-set stripe on the bow. Very cool!

Since the transom is good I see no real benefit of removing the cap except that it would allow you to have more working room...

Good Luck!

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

LOL, I didn't think you were a stalker :)

Thanks guys for the compliments. It's a 1974 17' Super Caprice. As far as I know it's the only year they offer the wrap around windshield, I can't find any other model/year that had that type of styling. I would like to re-do the stripe since parts of it are coming off, but it's a thick stripe and I am not sure how I am going to approach it yet.

Also does anyone have any tips with painting aluminum? I repainted the windshield last year but the paint didn't stick right, I sanded it, primed it, and painted it. I think it might have been too humid for the paint to dry. I am going to try it again.

I am planning for the begining of march to kick this project off, I will keep everyone informed with pictures. Thanks for the help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You need a specific primer for aluminum. Zinc chromate. Napa apparently sells it. It's light green in color and you only need a light coat of it.

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ezmobee.

Ok I know originally I said I was going to ask this but now I think I am. I am thinking about laying down 1.5oz chopped strand mat along with 6oz woven cloth. Is this going to be enough for the floor? Can I get away with just one layer of 1.5oz or 2.0oz chopped strand mat? Also what glass is recommended for the stringers, would chopped strand mat do?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

1.5 oz CSM seems to be fairly popular along with 18 oz woven roving. At least thats what drewpster and I are using!

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm currently using 1.5 oz. CSM and 10 oz. cloth for the same project. Good luck!