floor and steering question

phidelt157

Cadet
Two questions:

I'm restoring my 87 SFM Starcraft 160. What's the trick to remove the steering wheel? I have the cover off and the large nut, but it won't budge. Is there a clip somewhere? Also, I plan to replace all vinyl on the dash but the floor needs to come up on the deck in order to get to part of it. Any tricks to get the floor to pop up if the screws won't back themselves out?

Thanks guys!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: floor and steering question

Put the nut back on but not tight. Then get a friend to help pull hard on the steering wheel evenly all around and bang on the nut with a hard plastic or leather hammer or on a peice of hard wood between the hammer and the nut. Try prying under the screw head while turning the screw. Good luck!

mark942

Seaman

Dont do what I did and try it by yourself. My chest and chin will never be the same.....

phidelt157

Cadet

Put the nut back on but not tight. Then get a friend to help pull hard on the steering wheel evenly all around and bang on the nut with a hard plastic or leather hammer or on a peice of hard wood between the hammer and the nut. Try prying under the screw head while turning the screw. Good luck!

Pry under what screw?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I soaked mine with PB Blaster, loosened the nut, wedged my knees under the bottom of the wheel, pulled on the top of the wheel and whacked the snot out of the backed off nut. It finally saw the error of its way and popped off. No chest pain!

George is saying to pry under the screw holding the floor down. Many times the threads rust off where they sit in the floor support and prying lets the un-rusted threads grab so you can back it out. It was the answer to question two in your first post.

64osby

Admiral

If the screws still spin, drill the head off and remove the wood.

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are replacing the wood floor, you might be able to get a grip on the screw head with a vice grap, it worked on a Lund tyee that I redid the floor on a few years ago. It will chew up the plywood a little around the screw head.