flooding volvo 1973 3 carbs

rwrcrappie

Cadet
need help. i have a 1973 volvo that keeps flooding.i was told by the person that i gave it to me that it floods easy because of the 3 carbs..the problem i have is if i run it for 10min.or so then turn it off its hard to start again..sometimes it wont start for 2 or 3 hours.the other day i went out 10 miles on lake michigan ,everyting was running good .then we started trolling and it stalled.i couldnt get it stated again.i had to be towed in.when i got home it started right up in my driveway.way is it so hard to start after it gets hot.like i said it turns over but does pop.is there some way to start it when it floods .we used the boat 10 x this year with no problems.does this engine flood a lot because of the 3 carbs, or do you think something else is wrong.i like to fish deep 10 miles out or so, and i dont want to get stuck again out that far.you can smell gas after it stalls so i think its flooding .but way is it so hard to start after its hot.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: flooding volvo 1973 3 carbs

what kind of carbs? Usually the best way to start a flooded engine is to hold it wide open while turning over to let air in. If your engine is flooding out while sitting you have fuel leaking either from your floats or well plugs( if applicable). I dont know what kind of carbs your running...

captmello

Captain

You may be due for a few carb rebuilds. The trick is getting the carbs adjusted to work together once rebuilt.

Here is a link to the service manual for your engine. You didn't mention the model, but I imagine its the AQ170.

http://www.4shared.com/file/59747156/6c065c44/AQ130_thru_170_Serv_Man.html

Here are the rebuild kits for your carbs, you'll need three of course.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfinder/?*******=602923857&gd_grid_id=855&gd_poid=112057&gd_row=5&**********=570959358

Let us know what you do and how it goes.:)

BTW, welcome to Iboats!!

rwrcrappie

Cadet

thanks for your help.i ll try cleaning the carbs and look at the link you sent me.maybe the carbs need adjusting.like i said it hard to start when you run it for awhile.its like it doesnt get spark.or maybe the sparkplugs get wet and need to be dry off.last time it didnt start i try holding the engine wide open and it still didnt start.but when you let it set for a couple hours it starts .i ll let you know how it runs this weekend where going to try it.thanks.rob

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you pulled the plugs real quick when this happens just to verify that it is infact flooded? If it is flooding you need to get the carbs rebuilt or do it yourself. If it does it again yank out 1,3,6 plugs and have a look if they are gas soaked its a good tell tale the carbs need attention or at least a float adj. Does it have the big steel spark arrestor that fits over all three carbs like a big rectangle? Those are pretty restrictive I'm not saying to run without it but at least remove it and make sure everything is clean and dry. Also if it quits again remove it to help let it breathe out. My dads boat had twin sixes with tri carb on each we had to cut holes in the sides of the doghouse so it could breathe a bit better. Also when its shut off remove spark arrestor and watch down the throat of the carbs for any dripping of fuel there should be none dripping out of the snorkle in the carb.