Flooding problem after carb rebuild

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I rebuilt my 2 bbl TKS carb and on the first start attempt I had to stop. I have fuel coming out of what looks like a little slide, forward side of carb as your looking down at it with filter off. Has anyone had this issue??

alldodge

Staff member
Most probable, is either the float level is set to high, or there is a piece of crud stuck in the needle seat. Need to take the top off again

The little slide is the TKS enrichment valve opening. When cold its open, once warmed up its closed

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I`m second guessing everything I`ve done on the rebuild now. It seemed easy enough and I was very careful. My mercruiser manual did not show a spring under the accelerator pump spring and I couldn`t remember if it had one there. The new accelerator pump on my rebuild kit came with a new spring so I used it.There was never any issues with idling or acceleration so I didn`t adjust the float at all. The video I saw on a TKS rebuild did not show any float adjustment either. I tapped on the horn a few times and fuel no longer coming out of enrichment valve opening. However it doesnt idle on its own I have to jockey the throttle. After shut down I can see residual dripping from venturi cluster .

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. After reviewing mercruiser TKS manual 41, I removed my carb horn. The level float measurement was way off and the drop float measurement was 2/16`s off. I adjusted both float settings per the manual and reinstalled. After a little adjusting on the air idle adjusting screw she is running pretty good as well as idling. I won`t know if my intermittent stalls on the water will be cured but will report back. The only lingering issue on my mind that I saw after reading manual 41 is a special fiber washer on the center screw of the venturi cluster. I noticed mine was crushed when I put my carb back together, however the rebuild kit did not come with a new fiber washer. Has anyone run into this issue during carb rebuild and did it make a difference or cause a problem? My center screw had a small metal washer but I installed it without the fiber washer .