Flooding or overheating?

RyalsCreek

Cadet
I had my motor repaired (Nissan 40HP) and it was running fair, but would at least get me around. It just started running strangely. It will start and run for the first 5 minutes and then stalls. When I try to restart it, it simply won't fire. I have to wait 30 minutes for it to re-start. When I'm trying to restart it I notice what appears to be excess fuel coming out of the carburetor. It appears the motor is being flooded, overheating or both? Is it time to take it back to the shop?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Flooding or overheating?

"It appears the motor is being flooded, overheating or both? Is it time to take it back to the shop?" Are you kidding me? I would be so ashamed if one of my "repairs" came back with the symptoms you described. Hell yes, take it back to the mechanic. Explain what the symptoms are. Tell him it only ran fair when you got it back from him. He may well surprise you and fix it immediately without charge. If he doesn't know about it, he can't fix it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If excess fuel is coming from carb, it's a worn float, needle or seat carb issue, check or replace. If engine is old, beter get a new carb kit, will have all needed carb parts.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

"It appears the motor is being flooded, overheating or both? Is it time to take it back to the shop?" Are you kidding me? I would be so ashamed if one of my "repairs" came back with the symptoms you described. Hell yes, take it back to the mechanic. Explain what the symptoms are. Tell him it only ran fair when you got it back from him. He may well surprise you and fix it immediately without charge. If he doesn't know about it, he can't fix it.

Yep!