Float needle

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I've got a 1989 85hp force outboard. Got this moter used have got it running but still having carb issues. I need to replace the float needle valves on all three carbs. I ordered onw for middle carb seems to be working but it didn't have the clip that holds it to the float. Now my bottom carb is doing the same thing. The model number is 85A9A I can't find the correct needle mine has a rubber tip and the ones I seem to find don't they come with needle and seat. I don't believe the seat romoves from my carb.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
If and when I find the right one Im going to buy and replace all three with a spare as these carbs are whooping my but lol.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is the closet that I can find on Crowley it is the same as mine without the rubber tip. Any suggestions on where to go from here. I've looked into buying all three new carbs and only ones I can find are way out of my price range.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210726-153245.png
    Screenshot_20210726-153245.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 2

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
That is the closet that I can find on Crowley it is the same as mine without the rubber tip. Any suggestions on where to go from here. I've looked into buying all three new carbs and only ones I can find are way out of my price range.
Did you look on marineenginedotcom?

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes sir I did. Let me ask you this it was leaking bout of both of the top holes on crab when running on bottom carb. Took apart cleaned out needle looked ok so I put it all back together had the bowl leaking (another thread) fixed that now it's only leaking out of the one side while I'm priming it haven't tried starting it yet. Is that normal or am I still facing a problem

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only on bottom carb but if I tilt all the carbs as I'm priming it gas does come out of all three carbs on same hole. As I don't have carbs bolted down just set on there with gas line hooked up.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I’m certainly not an expert in regards to this particular issue you’re having, however, when I was having a leaky carb issue it turned out to be a tiny particle of paint or sand or something which was hung up in or on the wall of the jet inlet valve thing and this was causing the needle to get stuck open. After disassembling the carb several times I finally noticed it and blew it out. Made sure the float drop was set right(again) and rest is history; never a problem since. Let me ask you this; you cowling; does it have foam insulation?? Because that eventually breaks up and finds its way into your carbs as well but I think I remember you said you sucked up crud from an old tank some time back-this here may be your lingering issue somewhere maybe..?

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have cleaned every orfice and crevice of this carb 10 times over. Lol not saying I didn't miss anything Because trust me I know it is possible. I have went to the extreme of cleaning these carbs after that and had it out on the water for three or four trips with no issue and now this. I've got my extra filter on there and clean tank and I have also cleaned that carb three times since this issue occured. The needle valve looks ok to me and that is what has me puzzled. Although I'm sure it could use replaced and if I find one I will replace but I'm not 100 percent sure that is what's causing this although it very well may be

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
My set up is different from yours but in my little brain it seems like the needle is not doing what’s it’s supposed to in that bottom percolator. I reserve the right to be wrong though

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you say needle you mean float needle correct and what could it be getting hung up on as with the bowl off it all moves very freely

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have checked for holes thinking maybe the float was feeling up with gas but float seems well

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had fuel coming out of the bottom carb and it was a torn fuel pump diaphram. As far as I can tell the float needle seat is in the carb and not on the needle.
1. If it won't seal maybe the seal is gone in the carb.
2. You could move the bottom carb to the top position to see if the problem follows the carb.
3. Also I took off the float bowl and push up on the float with my finger while I pumped the primer bulb so I could see what's really happening. Maybe the float is way out of adjustment.
4. Have you checked your floats to see if they are cracked and not floating. Easy to swamp floats around to see if the problem follows the float.