Flexible filler for cuddy ceiling

GaryAK

Seaman
The ceiling of the small cuddy on my Harvey dory was balsa cored and water saturated. I cut out the laminate headliner and while temps were still below zero (in Alaska) I zipped off the rotten balsa with an air chisel. Then I sanded it smooth so all that is left is like a veneer of resin impregnated balsa...and it's tough! There are some deeper spots and then there are the voids between the balsa squares that need to be filled. I intend to put a stringer down the center line with ribs from the side of the cuddy joined to it. Is there some flexible filler I can trowel on that will stick to the remaining balsa surface. My thought was to paint the ceiling with some sort of textured paint after filled and leave the stringer/rib assembly bright. I could mix epoxy with filler but hope someone could suggest an alternate that might be a little less costly. Thanks for any help!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Flexible filler for cuddy ceiling

I can't think of a "flexible" wood based filler product. Epoxy in the right blend will work but spendy to get the cool stuff used in skis. Understand that your roof is a stressed structural component, even though you're working with a balsa inlay, it's gonna take vibration and torque in it's life. I'd buck up for the epoxy and do it once. JMHO.

GaryAK

Seaman
Re: Flexible filler for cuddy ceiling

I can't think of a "flexible" wood based filler product. Epoxy in the right blend will work but spendy to get the cool stuff used in skis. Understand that your roof is a stressed structural component, even though you're working with a balsa inlay, it's gonna take vibration and torque in it's life. I'd buck up for the epoxy and do it once. JMHO.

Actually, I won't be working with balsa. The replacement stringer and ribs will be 1/2" glassed plywood. My thought was that this would be structurally at least as sound as rotten balsa held in place by the before mentioned and removed laminate head liner...and I would not be including the headliner in the repair I did a very small piece yesterday with epoxy. It came out ok..will need another coat. I, for some reason, am lousy at mixing thickened epoxy to the right consistency so it can be spread but without it running or sagging. Probably the right way to go, though.