Flat Spots on Trailer Tires

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I only trailer my boat maybe once or twice a year, I put her in the water in May and then I take her out of the water in Sept or Oct. Last year when I brought her home I didn't put my trailer/boat on stands, so when I was heading to the lake earlier this year I could feel the flat spots pretty good. Well this year I am taking her on a small road trip with me and my family for vacation. Since May the trailer has been off the ground and is on blocks, but my question is.....Is there any chance of getting these flat spots out/off my trailer wheels? I am sure I know this answer "NO" or yes, by buying new tires. Granted the flat spots aren't that bad, but I am pretty anal about my boat and trailer when it comes to trailering and boating. I know its my fault for being lazy last year, but I was hoping there might be a solution. Thanks in advance!

wtrgrl

Cadet
Re: Flat Spots on Trailer Tires

Unfortunately you already answered your own question:(. No way to get the flat spots out

ttownguy

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you're out of luck...not to mention a high potential for an imbalance.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

in my area 99% of the boats/trailers sit without moving for 9 months of the year, none of them on blocks. Doublecheck your tire pressure, and any flat spots should go away after a couple miles.

fix_it

Seaman Apprentice

I never block any of my trailers when they sit. Be it te camper, boat, or even the utility trailer. I have never had any flat spots. But, at work, we had a heavy truck with bias tires on it. If you let it set a week, then it would get flat spots on the tires. Get it on the road and heat up the tires and they would round out again. Just the nature of the beast. I would bet that you too have bias tires. Most trailer tires are, but if you were to get radials, I hear that they don't get flat spots as easily.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

It will thump for a few miles but the flat spots will go away. Bias tires are notorious for thumping after sitting, but the thump goes away after a few miles (the heavier the load, the more thump to begin, but the sooner it goes away. I have 5 trailers right now and not one of them gets put on stands, loaded or not.

j_martin

Admiral

The flat spots from sitting go away in a few miles. Back in the good old days, the dump truck used to hop like a frog for about 3 miles at 20 below zero.

Anyway, if they don't go away, they are either from deterioration from oil (was it parked on tar?) or from skidding with brakes applied. They won't heal, and could beat yer boat up over time.

hope it helps.
John

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

to be honest I don't remember what type of tires they are, I can almost bet they are not radials. They are the standard pontoon tires that come on the trailers....I am picking up a spare this weekend, because I refuse to take my boat/trailer further than 10miles with out a spare.....oh well I am sure they will fix themselves once drive on them with a load. Thanks for the heads up guys!