Flappers on side of transom shield (280)?

JohnsIsland

Cadet
I can't find a parts diagram showing the rubber flappers on the side of the transom shield of what I think is a ~1985 280 stern drive. Engine was repowered with a 5.7GSi, fresh water cooling.

Short story version is exhaust elbow and maybe manifold plugged, overheated, burned port side exhaust hoses connecting elbow to pipe, pipe to Y and the rubber flapper thingy. Lot's of smoke from burned hoses exiting the bilge vents. Plastic hood/cover of carb was melted and bent a bit.

Long story--family boat, used for cruising and transportation to a remote cabin. Inherited after Mom (2016) and Dad (2019) passed away. Was purchased new, lot's of memories. Dad and I spent lots of time working on boat over the years. I am planning on retiring in two years at the cabin and will need replace the boat with a hard top cabin and something a bit more reliable than a 37 year old boat and engine. Wish I could keep it...for the memories.

Attachments

• IMG_1455r.jpg
    IMG_1455r.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 14

JohnsIsland

Cadet
There is another problem I found last weekend which you can see in the pic. That is my worst problem. Not sure if I can live with the broken part, if the broken part could be welded on or if that is the straw that broke the camels back.

JohnsIsland

Cadet
The rubber flapper is called a exhaust pipe, part number 843235.

I can't figure out whether the exhaust pipe can be installed without removing the transom shield. I suspect (or is that hope?) it can.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BTW, its not the exhaust pipe.

it would be item 29, the water outlet.

and you can not get to any of it unless you remove the drive first, then the engine to get access.