Flag Flying Question

suzuki115

Seaman
Who is our local flag expert out there? I have been flying the flag (US flag of course, is there any other?) on my house since 9-11. I have been abiding by the flag rules that I know of, lighted at night, etc. My Question: If you're flag cannot be put at half mast, is it disrespectful to fly it at full mast when it should be at half mast?

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Flag Flying Question

Good Question? Certianly seems more respectful to fly it than naught, but is that then disrespecting the reason it should be halfmast moreso. No way you can attatch it halfmast?

gaugeguy

Captain

I saw "flag ettiquette" posted awhile back, but I don't recall anything about a flag you can't bring to half mast. <br /><br />Better to fly at full mast than not to fly at all I'd say.

mattttt25

Commander

just a guess, but i don't think you should display your flag unless you can fly it at half-mast.<br /><br />fyi, it's 30 days at half-mast after the death of a president.

gaugeguy

Captain

We are now debating this question fiercely from cube to cube at work! :cool: The best one I have heard so far is that if your mast is not long enough to flay at half mast it is called a pole, not a mast. Flags do not have to be flown at half-pole (one of the engineers here is like Cliff on cheers :rolleyes: )

suzuki115

Seaman

It is on a a 4' pole that slides into the flagpole mount screwed to the house.

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Suzuki, on poles like you describe, you can remove the string running up the flag and resecure the flag at half mast using zip ties at both of the grommets. That will let you fly it correctly and still allow removal for bad weather.

suzuki115

Seaman

neumanns: It it attached to the pole with plastic fastener through a drilled hole in the pole.<br /><br />KKC: Good info on that site,thanks.<br /><br />matt: It doesn't sound right that I shouldn't fly my flag for the next 30 days.<br /><br />Someone please give me some better news!

Stratosfied

Ensign

Suzuki, Mine is attached to the house like yours. My pole is wood and it has a plastic ring that is attached to the pole with a screw. The plastic ring has a "clip" which holds the flag. I removed the screw for the ring and lowered the ring to halfway of the pole, and reattached it to the pole, then I put the flag back up at, now 1/2 mast. You may be able to drill a small hole at halfmast and attach your flag with some fishing line. Even if you have to put several pinholes in the edge of the flag to attach the line to it to secure it to the pole. I hope that this helps you. Let us know how you make out! :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by kev_alaska:<br /> Suzuki, on poles like you describe, you can remove the string running up the flag and resecure the flag at half mast using zip ties at both of the grommets. That will let you fly it correctly and still allow removal for bad weather.
I have a pole just like your's Suzuki and I do what kev says here.<br />It works just fine.<br />Just don't let the flag touch the ground.

suzuki115

Seaman

Will drill some more holes in the pole and get that baby at half mast.<br /><br />Thank you fellow Americans!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

A mast is on a boat or ship. Land based flags are on a staff. ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

Today, your suppose to take a black ribbon double the size of the width of the stripes, tie it at the top of your flag in honor and respect of Past President Ronald Reagan.

LadyFish

Admiral

Actually, it's not just today.<br /><br />Posted on Mon, Jun. 07, 2004 <br /> <br />Proper way to display a flag during time of mourning<br /><br />Knight Ridder Newspapers<br /><br /><br />WASHINGTON - President Bush has ordered flags at all federal facilities lowered to half-staff - the midpoint on the display pole - until July 5, 30 days after former President Reagan's death.<br /><br />For flags that can't be lowered, such as those on many homes, the American Legion says attaching a black ribbon or streamer to the top of the flag is an acceptable alternative. The ribbon should be the same width as a stripe on the flag and the same length as the flag.<br /><br />For a wall-mounted flag, three black mourning bows should be attached to the top edge of the flag, one at each corner and one in the center.