Fix gel coat or use keel guard

harringtondav

Commander
Contacted a fiberglass place and they quoted $2,500. So, I'm gonna learn how to glass and gel lol.
I figured about the same price, Iowa prices. Per my earlier comments this is a good area of the boat to learn with. The function will end up great. If the looks are a little iffy, who cares? Few people crawl under the trailer for a look.

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I figured about the same price, Iowa prices. Per my earlier comments this is a good area of the boat to learn with. The function will end up great. If the looks are a little iffy, who cares? Few people crawl under the trailer for a look.
Awesome. I'm going to do it. I may be asking for a hand hold here but how much resin and stuff do you think I'll need? Would a quart suffice or do I need to get more?

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Before trying to glass upside down on your boat I would do a couple training pieces. That alone will eat over a quart.

froggy1150

I am going to assume you have no supplies like respirator, fin roller, glasses, and all the other tools/things you will need besides materials. Read the stickies and watch some how to vids. See what things you need to buy and price them out first. Initial costs could get pricey in todays economy. Boatworkstoday has some good how to vids

harringtondav

Commander
Awesome. I'm going to do it. I may be asking for a hand hold here but how much resin and stuff do you think I'll need? Would a quart suffice or do I need to get more?
You could get by with a quart of resin if you start slow and learn how much to mix for each course of the glass mat to reduce waste. ...too much and it will set (kick) in the mixing container before you can apply it. I had good luck with West System epoxy and hardeners. iBoat carries these products. There are others that will work fine.
Start with a quart of 105. I'd recommend their 206 slow hardener since you're learning. 20-25 min to kick vs. 9-12 min for the fast hardener. At the 1:5 ratio the hardener will cure a gallon of resin, so start with a quart of resin. Buy another if you need it. You'll have plenty of hardener.

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the tips. I have a shopping list started including all the safety equipment and whatnot.

froggy1150

Just so you are aware....
Epoxy resin does not accept gel coat well. If you use epoxy you will have to cover with paint. If you want to gel coat you need polyester resin. With epoxy you have to buy the right hardener for the cure time you want. With poly you adjust kick time with amount of catalyst you use

harringtondav

Commander
Just so you are aware....
Epoxy resin does not accept gel coat well. If you use epoxy you will have to cover with paint. If you want to gel coat you need polyester resin. With epoxy you have to buy the right hardener for the cure time you want. With poly you adjust kick time with amount of catalyst you use
I patch repaired several areas on a previous boat using epoxy with fairing filler. No issues with Spectrum gel coat adhesion, but it is polyester.
More on the subject below.

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I patch repaired several areas on a previous boat using epoxy with fairing filler. No issues with Spectrum gel coat adhesion, but it is polyester.
More on the subject below.
Thanks for the article. I'm glad it can be done with the right preparation. I've read a lot of good things about West System epoxy with fiberglass so I would like to use that. I will also buy the spectrum gel coat since it is polyester.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Skip the west system. way overpriced and too slow to cure

Use either US composites or FGCI

1 gallon of resin
2 yards 1708
5 2" wide chip brushes
3 4" body putty spreaders (to move the resin
3 1 qt containers
1 qt gel
MEKP
Finishing wax
2 gallons acetone
Some plastic sheet

40, 80, 150, 220, 320, 400 grit paper and a DA
Full face respirator

Grind back 8" with 40 grit
Wipe with acetone
Lay plastic on work surface
Mix resin
Cut cloth into strip. First 3" wide and 3" longer than really bad area
Next 6" wide and 4" longer than 1st. Then 9" wide and 5" longer than second. Last one 12" wide and 6" longer than 3rd

Lay out on plastic

Mix 1 qt of resin. Wet out 1st 2 strips. Get under boat and wet area. Place smallest strip 1st, using spreader squeegee to remove most resin. Place 2nd strip over 1st and use squeegee.

Drink a beer

Mix 2nd qt of resin, add wax

Wet out next 2 strips. Wet bottom
Repeat with squeegee.

Let cure 1 hour. Drink 2 beers

Fire up DA, sand smooth

Wipe with acetone

Mix up gel and wax, paint on 3 layers. Let cure.

Start with 150 grit, get finer. Then buff smooth

If you use west system, double your cost and add a week for that stuff to cure

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Skip the west system. way overpriced and too slow to cure

Use either US composites or FGCI

1 gallon of resin
2 yards 1708
5 2" wide chip brushes
3 4" body putty spreaders (to move the resin
3 1 qt containers
1 qt gel
MEKP
Finishing wax
2 gallons acetone
Some plastic sheet

40, 80, 150, 220, 320, 400 grit paper and a DA
Full face respirator

Grind back 8" with 40 grit
Wipe with acetone
Lay plastic on work surface
Mix resin
Cut cloth into strip. First 3" wide and 3" longer than really bad area
Next 6" wide and 4" longer than 1st. Then 9" wide and 5" longer than second. Last one 12" wide and 6" longer than 3rd

Lay out on plastic

Mix 1 qt of resin. Wet out 1st 2 strips. Get under boat and wet area. Place smallest strip 1st, using spreader squeegee to remove most resin. Place 2nd strip over 1st and use squeegee.

Drink a beer

Mix 2nd qt of resin, add wax

Wet out next 2 strips. Wet bottom
Repeat with squeegee.

Let cure 1 hour. Drink 2 beers

Fire up DA, sand smooth

Wipe with acetone

Mix up gel and wax, paint on 3 layers. Let cure.

Start with 150 grit, get finer. Then buff smooth

If you use west system, double your cost and add a week for that stuff to cure
Well, that's the hand hold I needed! When you say 1 qt gel do you mean the gel coat? What brand and such do you suggest?

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got rid of a shed. Moved the camper and put the boat behind it. Took the last trip for a little while it seems. This will be my work place.

Attachments

• 20220924_140455.jpg
    20220924_140455.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6

flashback

Captain
Well there ya go, the gel probably won't match but your keel is good!
When it's all done then put the guard on if you want...

Last edited:

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well there ya go, the gel probably won't match but your keel is good!
When it's all done then put the guard on if you want...
Yeah, I'm probably not too worried about matching the color. Could be black on a white boat, I don't care. just want to make sure I get it done right. Then I'll throw the guard on and never look at it again.

harringtondav

Commander
Yeah, I'm probably not too worried about matching the color. Could be black on a white boat, I don't care. just want to make sure I get it done right. Then I'll throw the guard on and never look at it again.
When you get to the gel coat sand it and buff it as if it on the most visible part of the boat. ....good practice for when you get an ugly guff or dock rash. You'll be ready.

flashback

Captain
4856.jpegshe is still with us and active only because she has been rebuilt properly...

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Opened up the ski locker and all the stuff was soaked still from our last trip. About 2-3 inches of water in the bottom of the boat. Vacuumed it out and you can see the thin spots of fiberglass where the water was most likely getting in. Also decided I'll fix my ski locker lid too.

Attachments

• 20220924_174228.jpg
    20220924_174228.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220924_174025.jpg
    20220924_174025.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220924_175910.jpg
    20220924_175910.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

harringtondav

Commander
Opened up the ski locker and all the stuff was soaked still from our last trip. About 2-3 inches of water in the bottom of the boat. Vacuumed it out and you can see the thin spots of fiberglass where the water was most likely getting in. Also decided I'll fix my ski locker lid too.
Best to get it as dry as possible before beginning the work outside. Homemade pigs from pillow cases and cat liter/oil dry. Heat gun. Maybe a dose of "Heat" methanol gas line deicer to help move the water out. You'll know when you start sanding the keel down if moisture is still oozing.
You'll have all the materials to lay up a few layers on the inside here. ...belt and suspenders.

Last edited: