Fix gel coat or use keel guard

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought my boat used. It has scraped up spots on the keel from being beached. Would it be better to fix the gel coat and paint, or could I just put a keel saver over the damage and call it good?

flashback

Captain
I agree with above although repairing the gel would be a good learning experience.

flashback

Captain
That will work if you cover it with the keel guard. @Scott Danforth can give you the process using gel and cabosil but it's costly unless you have areas that need to match.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bought my boat used. It has scraped up spots on the keel from being beached. Would it be better to fix the gel coat and paint, or could I just put a keel saver over the damage and call it good?
Got pics?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Also depends on your situation. If you trailer and launch a lot, launch solo at busy ramps for example as I do, the Keelguard comes in very handy. I consider it one of the best additions I've made to the boat. I try to avoid using it but sometimes it's called into action to get the job done.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Be aware the fiberglass is waterproof only when a surface coating like gelcoat covers it....without a gelcoat cover, you glass could leak, even though it would be small, could still cause issues down the road. Repair the gelcoat then add your keel gard for best results

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got pics?
Grabbed some photos. Didn't realize it was worse than I thought. Little bit of pitting in the fiberglass. Should I fill that with epoxy? Put fiber mat and epoxy over?

Attachments

• 20220923_154812.jpg
    20220923_154812.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220923_154821.jpg
    20220923_154821.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220923_154823.jpg
    20220923_154823.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220923_154835.jpg
    20220923_154835.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220923_154841.jpg
    20220923_154841.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You are ground thru the fiberglass in multiple locations

This is no longer just a gel coat scratch repair.

You need to check inside the boat for wet flotation foam

You will need to grind back 8in or so both sides of the keel and build back up with at least 4-5 layers of 1708. Then grind smooth and then gel. Total repair costs about $400 assuming you do not have wet structure

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You are ground thru the fiberglass in multiple locations

This is no longer just a gel coat scratch repair.

You need to check inside the boat for wet flotation foam

You will need to grind back 8in or so both sides of the keel and build back up with at least 4-5 layers of 1708. Then grind smooth and then gel. Total repair costs about $400 assuming you do not have wet structure
I was afraid of that. Would it be smarter of me to just take it to someone for repair?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
As far as ease of repair, would it be doable for someone at home?
Yes. Suggest you read the links in the 4th sticky in the hull restoration forum. Specifically link 14

Or go thru any number of links in people's signature

harringtondav

Commander
It is doable at home on your trailer. My first boat wasn't this bad, but I made the repair. Per @Scott Danforth this forum will walk you through it.
My key points. Do the work when it is warm. Depending on where you live it may be best to wait until spring. Epoxy and gel coat components need at least 70 deg to cure properly. Warmer is better. Heaters can help but the boat needs to be at temperature.
Spraying the gel coat will give the best results. iBoats carries Spectrum gel coat and other important additives for spraying like Patch Aid and surfacing wax. They have good color matches for many boats. If you spray, completely disassemble and clean the gun immediately after spraying. Just shooting acetone through the gun won't work. I ruined one gun trying this.

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It is doable at home on your trailer. My first boat wasn't this bad, but I made the repair. Per @Scott Danforth this forum will walk you through it.
My key points. Do the work when it is warm. Depending on where you live it may be best to wait until spring. Epoxy and gel coat components need at least 70 deg to cure properly. Warmer is better. Heaters can help but the boat needs to be at temperature.
Spraying the gel coat will give the best results. iBoats carries Spectrum gel coat and other important additives for spraying like Patch Aid and surfacing wax. They have good color matches for many boats. If you spray, completely disassemble and clean the gun immediately after spraying. Just shooting acetone through the gun won't work. I ruined one gun trying this.

I'm in Southern California so I should be able to get it done before it gets too cold.

Contacted a fiberglass place and they quoted $2,500. So, I'm gonna learn how to glass and gel lol.