Fishing the Patomac

dandsphillips08

Seaman Apprentice
Hey i was wondering if there is anybody here that fishes the patomac area? Im going to be getting stationed there at the end of january for three years, and i was wondering how the fishing is. I normally only fish for, stripers, cats, and plan on taking the boat out into the chesapeak bay and maybe into the ocean depending on weather. How is the striper fishing there in january and febuary? My step-dad (fishing buddy) and daughter will be going out with me and i want to be able to put them on some big fish, seeing we normally only fish in South Carolina. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fishing the Patomac

The Bay is C&R only Jan. thru mid-April. If you want to travel a bit Striper season is open in the ocean year round and there is great fishing from Virginia Beach to Oregon Inlet most of the winter.

Having said that, Striper fishing in the Bay during Jan. and Feb. can be good if the water temps stay up and the bait stays around. It's rare but possibile. Look for 40 degree or better water and you'll find the Stripers.

By the first or second week of March they will be back in force as they begin staging for the spawn.

BTW: Fishing during the winter can be deadly. We loss a couple of guys every year out Striper fishing. The weather is very unpredicable and with water temps in the 30's you litterly only have minutes before your done.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fishing the Patomac

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/

Start here. it will give you all the info on open/closed seasons, License Boat reg./requirements, Ramps and more.

Good fishing can be found all up and down the Bay. The power plant below Annapolis is a favorite for drift fishing.

East bay is good at times also.