Fishing the Merrimack River

Knotiboy

Seaman
Hi folks,<br /><br />I'll be fishing the Merrimack this coming weekend for strippers and blue fish. I here there aren't too many stripper keepers. So where should I go for them?

Sublime

Cadet
Re: Fishing the Merrimack River

Hay Knot,.. I fish the Merrimack at least every weekend. If you want more stripers fish around Dear and Eagle island approx 1 1/2 mi. up river. If you want more Blues, than anywhere in the mouth. Keepers are hard to come by. Early morning or late evening on an out-going tide is your best bet. I've boated probably 150+ stripers so far this season. Only a hand full were keepers.<br /><br />Good Luck.

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The strippers around here are pretty haggard looking too for the most part. Generally speaking, the all-nude joints attract the trashiest ones

Knotiboy

Seaman

Sublime,<br /><br />Do you fish for flouder also and cod?

Sublime

Cadet

Hi Knot,..<br /><br />Only when I'm hungry! Ya know,.. I could and they can be caught at the mouth, but catching them kind of boars me. I like to feel my line streach and poll bend, BIG TIME, and you just don't get that with flounder or Cod. If I want to eat fish, I'll go to shaws market and buy it.<br /><br />The season is waaay too short for me to spend time catching something that dosen't get me hard.

Knotiboy

Seaman

I know what you mean , I just wanted to get the breeze frpm you local fishermen sort of speak.<br />Anyway I'll be fishing stripers and blues ,what's your prefered lures for both species?

Sublime

Cadet

Geez,.. I've got way too much time on my hands at work today. Thank god for long run parts. Anyway, I mostly use chunk bait (herring or mackrel)herring being the best IMO. Plus, I'm kind of lazy. It's hard to crack a beer open while your casting. When the tide is slack or the river is flat (early am or evening) I use a popper or rapala. One other tip: If the blues are hitting use a steel leader or they will clean your clock.<br /><br />Do you know the river at all, or are you going to be on a charter?

Knotiboy

Seaman

I don't konw the river at all, all I've got is a detailed map of the river with dephts and hot spots.I'll be fishing on 18.5 foot boat , if I can will try useing my downrigger.

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey i'm from the Merrimack River area too, let me know how your trips end up.

Knotiboy

Seaman

My fishing trip at the Merrimack was definately excellent though I didn't get any keepers the first time.On the second time arround I got two of them at 28" (caught with herring) one after the other on high tide at the mouth of the river,<br />I'm going back on the first September weekend to try my luck.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) if you are planning to come in September, you want to come the 2nd or 3rd week!!!Should be fantastic fishing as the bait fish start to empty out of the rivers !!!! fish along the jetty and also where the river starts to calm down at the mouth!!! Some times you want just enough weight to let your bait to bounce off the bottom!!! Big fish on bottom, little fish on top!!! ;) :cool:

Knotiboy

Seaman

Thanks Fly Rod I don't think I'll be able to make it in that time frame but I'll let you know anyhow!

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class

FlyRod where are some good jetty fishing spots on the Merrimack?