Fishing myths/legends

spike440

Seaman
Re: Fishing myths/legends

I've heard the one about the boy jumping in the pond and dying, but it was piranas in the pond. Apparently someone had emptied and aquarium load of them into the pond. :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

yea gaugeguy, would probably look like on of them giant "Sluggo" plastic baits to the lunges. :D

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

The piranhas are a nice twist. Every so often, some newspaper will run a story about a fisherman who lands a piranha. It's a good thing that these "liberated" aquarium pets can't tolerate cold weather and die off in the fall. Makes you wonder about southern Florida. I suppose that they could survive there.

oddjob

Commander

We have a non-native fish called an oscar. A large pan fish with small sharp teeth, google eyes and a big dot on the tail. Very agressive and hard fighting. They are from the pirana family I'm told. :eek: <br /><br />I have dreams about moccacins occasionally...I"m crossing a creek and half way across I look down to see that I have moccasins all around me. Some times I get bit, some times I dont. :) <br />Twelve years ago I lived in a house that was a short walk near a golf course near Orlando. I had cleared a path through 150ft of thick brush so I had an easy access to my private wildlife refuge. One day I was exploring in there and following a creek along the bank and I came to area thick with vines and tall brush. Not wanting to get my feet wet I began to cimb through. After several branch/ face slaps thorns and tangles 10 ft into this mess I came face to face with a fat moccasin aprox. 3 feet long. I was in a crouched position entangled with the vines and shrub branches and about 1 - 1 1/2ft. from the snake at I eye level. He was laying perpendicular and horizontal to me. I was so busy avoiding branch smacks I hadnt noticed it coming in. And with all this growth being connected, how had it had remained there undisturbed? I immediatly backed up a little to avoid striking distance. The problem now was backing out of the tangled mess without disturbing it in the process. It layed perfectly still with one eye on me. I turned to my left towards the creek looking for the quickest way out of the situation and lo and behold there was another one about the same distance from me and height above the ground as the snake #1. :eek: Reverse was my only obtion. Every move that I made transended to the limbs that the snakes rested on because everything was inter-connected. Slowly I backed out inch by inch, vine by vine until I was finally a safe distance away and at the edge of the thicket. I was still wondering why they were not spooked as of yet. I shook the limbs agressively a few times and the didn't budge. I got a stick and walked around and into the creek to get close and have an easy escape. It was then that I saw the third snake that must have been directly over top of me when I was in the thicket! About six feet off of the ground doing the same thing as the others. I put the stick directly in the face of snake #1 and he never flinched. When I smaked the vines with the stick all three bolted away. I guess they were sleeping, with there eyes wide open. That was and still is a unbelieveable situation I got myself into and lucky to get back out. <br /><br />Moccasins are poisonous. Much like a scorpion. Several bites from several snakes would kill you and one bite may kill some high risk people. And I know from experience that they sometimes like to hang out together.. :D ..<br /><br />JB-I could be wrong...I have been before...but before re-educate myself on North American snakes I'm going to take a chance and state that...<br /><br /> I believe water moccacins and cottonmouths are the same thing. Cottonmouth being a nickname. They come in various markings and are dark green with pretty yellow or tan markings on the back and a lighter shade belly. That what they look like down here in Florida. Where I grew up in Kentucky they were solid black with a white or grey belly and often mistaken for a black water snake. They all have fangs with a wet loose white inner mouth that covers over the fang when not biting. I verified this from experience also cause I caught one once ( [edit- by accident ], without the use of a stick or sling) during a "who can catch the biggest snake with only your hands contest". :D Well it beat summmer boredom. :eek: [Edit] Thought it was just a large water snake. Found him laying under an old TV in the middle of a creek.

Bondo

Staff member

and floats to the top, obviously dead.
Obviously Urban Myth.......<br />Resently Dead bodies Don't Float........<br />Atleast until decomposession causes Bloating.....

crab bait

Captain

finished watchin' lonesome dove last nite on vsh..<br /><br />it was moccocines,, in the movie... least wise that's what they called 'em..<br /><br />what a great movie...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

crab bait, if you like to read I highly recommend the book and both sequels (actually prequels). The movie is very true to the book - Tommy Lee Jones and Duvall play the leads just like I imagined 'em.<br /><br />jtw<br /><br />p.s. that's the snake, oddjob. And six feet of cottonmouth can grow to ten or twelve feet pretty quick when there's a couple of 'em swimming toward your boat!

crab bait

Captain

appreciate it,JTEX.. but gotta follow my rule.. <br /><br />never read a book,, when ya can rent the movie... ;) <br /><br />seen robert duvall ,one of my top 5 actors, many-a-time on talk shows.. he said he was put on earth to play AGUSTUS McCREA..now that's sayin' somethin'..

ebbtide176

Commander

i ckd out that link. it didn't really make a diff in the water moccasin and cottonmouth. i always thought those were diff snakes. i killed a humongous water moccasin on a beaver mound one time, and it had round eyes/pupils. i was taught that the vipers had the slit eyes. in S GA the water moccasins hang around the overhanging tree limbs all the time, and they are usually the snakes that fall in your canoes. i don't remember seeing many cottonmouths... maybe it was too long ago :)

FireAm94

Seaman Apprentice

Well guys...why do most of you disbelieve the catfish story below the dams? I can't tell you exactly where I read it but i've read that the largest freshwater catfish (U.S.) was caught by trap and if I remember correctly was over 300 lbs. If there is somewhere a cat that big can live it's right by the turbines at a dam. I live near wheeler dam on the tennessee river and there are some huge cats in there. There was a local newspaper article that was telling about some of the divers refusing to work on the dam again due to the huge cats near the dam. I'm a believer as that is not too far fetched. I wouldn't expect to catch them as they probably just open their mouths....with a surface are that big..and all the baitfish and scraps are sucked into their mouth. Of course i'm sure we're not talking about flathead cats...but more likely blue cats.<br /><br />Joe

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey rwise.<br />i live near tulsa and have heard the story.i know which strip pit it is claimed to be as well.ive fished it several times there are alot of snakes there and they do submerge but resurface after about 20 to 30 yards.but if you check local reports official ones it is not documented.you can bet it isnt really true.but it worked on you.thats ok more fish for me :D

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

The giant catfish stories are true.<br />In Arizona, there are very large catfish in the Colorado river that crawl across sandbanks. Some are 6 feet or larger. National Geographic did a documentary on them.<br />When I lived in AZ, divers would tell tales about being down in the dark murky waters of a lake, usually by the damn, when something would slither or brush their bodies. These were catfish that were the length of a mans arms spread apart, fingertip to fingertip.<br />The rookie divers were freaked out by this.<br /><br />Speaking of Robert Duval, has anyone seen Second Hand Lions, great movie.

rwise

Captain

Bco128<br />Never said I would not fish there! But dive without checking the water out, that’s another story.<br />Richard

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hey firedude, I got no problem believing catfish the size you describe. They'll keep growing as long as their habitat will support 'em.<br /><br />BTW, another excellent Duvall performance: Open Range, just hit the video stores.